Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > BeerSmith changing SRM values
Old 04-05-2012, 12:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Default BeerSmith changing SRM values

Hey everyone,

I'm very new to brewing, and even more so to BeerSmith. I have a question regarding the preset SRM values, especially concerning LMEs. I want to get as accurate a prediction of my beer's color as possible, so should I change the values based on the specific LME I am using? (I guess I should for the grains as well, although these seem like they would be more standardized.)

If the answer is yes, my next question would be: Is the Lovibond scale equal in value to SRM? My LHBS stocks Briess, and on their website they list the different LMEs in the Lovibond scale.

Thanks for any help,

Old 04-05-2012, 12:48 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 506 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 226

IMO, the SRM value for extract is kind of moot because extract beers will always wind up darker than an AG version of the same beer. I have found the BS values to be pretty darn close to what I brew
Nothing Left to do but smile and drink beer.....

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010