Old 04-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
jmd1971
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Undercarbonated Kegs

Hi,

I am fairly new to kegging (only drinking my second kegged batch) & both seemed undercarbonated, even though I set everything based on the charts available for style/temp/psi.

Right now, I have a APA tapped at about 12psi & around 38 degrees, but after about 10 days now it seems undercarbonated, like my last batch a Cali Common. There is plenty of head (about 2 inches worth), but the CO2 in suspension seems weak. When I first pour, I am only seeing a minimal amount of bubbles surfacing. I would have expected more in suspension carbonation at this point.

I'm not really sure where to go from here as I thought I was following the guidelines I've read about. Does anyone have any ideas to help this? I have a pilsner conditioning & I definitely don't want this issue with that one. You can get away with an undercarbonated APA, but not so for a pilsner....

Thanks for any advice you all may have!

Old 04-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
Alphonso
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just crank up the pressure if it's too low for your tastes. Thats the beauty of a keg.

However, if you are just setting it and letting it carb slowly, it may take more like 2-3 weeks. It just may not be fully carbed yet. 10 days simply may not be enough time.

I crank mine up to about 30psi, let it sit for about 3 days, then set it to my serving pressure and give it another week or so to even out. Thats 10 days right there.

Some people crank it up to about 30 and shake the keg around for a few minutes, then drop the pressure and let it even out.

Long story short, at 10 days, it's probably not finished carbing yet. And if it's not carbed enough for you, you can always add more.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
jmd1971
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Ok, I'll try that. I did try that on the Cali Common but just resulted in more head - almost 1/2 a glass. Do you mean crank it up & leave it for a few days, then drop back down for serving? Or crank up & serve? Love it to be drinkable sooner rather than later. Well, its already drinkable, just would rather a bit more carbonation....

Thanks!

Old 04-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1235 Times on 814 Posts
Likes Given: 33

You're just expecting 20 or so days of carbonation to happen in 10 days. You can either wait another week minimum or crank the pressure to like 16psi for a few more days and then drop it back down to 12.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
jmd1971
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Ok, thanks. I thought kegging was quicker to serving than bottling, but I guess not. When bottling, I'm carbonated in 7+ days, not 21+ days. Bottling seems more user friendly & quicker to serve. Switching back!

Old 04-04-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
Alphonso
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Once your beer has properly carbed, if you're still getting too much foam at your serving pressure, you need to get longer tap lines. It is important that the system is in 'balance' meaning that the tap lines provide enough resistance to counter the pressure pushing the beer out.

Quick fix = hold the tap higher (if you are using picnic taps), as in, above your head. gravity will provide the back pressure.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #7
Alphonso
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

It can be faster. As stated earlier, when you hook up a new keg to the gas, crank it up to 30 psi for about 3-4 days, then drop it back down to your serving pressure and give it another 3-4 days to even out. Carbed in week.

You can carb in as little as 5 min by hooking up the gas, cranking it up to 30 or so, and shaking or rolling the keg back and forth for about 5 minutes. I don't recommend this though because I think the texture and taste are not quite right. 'fizzy' and 'carbonic'. It will mellow out over time though.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #8
Alphonso
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmd1971 View Post
Ok, thanks. I thought kegging was quicker to serving than bottling, but I guess not. When bottling, I'm carbonated in 7+ days, not 21+ days. Bottling seems more user friendly & quicker to serve. Switching back!
Don't knock it till you know what you're doing.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #9
Brett3rThanU
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've only kegged 2 batches and I'm trying to get the procedure down as well as both my batches took longer than 2 weeks to fully carbonate. Don't give up, regardless of time it's much less of a pain in the ass than bottling!

Old 04-04-2012, 07:32 PM   #10
jmd1971
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks for the advice, Alphonso. Kind of funny on the tap line size. It seems everyone says 5-7 ft of line is ideal, yet the standard tower taps sold on the market only have 3-4 feet. Wonder why they wouldn't come with the right sized line? I hear its kind of a pain to change the line in tower taps....