Honey Porter - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Honey Porter

Old 04-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
Edubbs
Recipes 

Dec 2011

This is a partial mash recipe I adopted and partially modified from a local brew store recipe. This is my first recipe post, so I'll just steal another post's recipe presentation:

Recipe Type: Partial Mash
Yeast: Nottingham Ale [used as last resort for this brew.... Wyeast #1o28 London is better as per home brew store recipe]
'Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.08o
Final Gravity: 1.10
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 28 days at est. 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): N/A
Tasting Notes: Strong honey taste

This recipe is fairly straight forward and only slightly modified in the amount of honey I used [I opted for 2 pounds of honey, as opposed to 1 pound]. I was really going for a strong honey presence and that is what I got with the addition of the extra pound of it.

The Porter itself was pretty tasty on a cold day. Nearly all of the discerning tasters who sampled my beer enjoyed the strong taste. However, I personally found it a bit stronger than I would have liked and would consider reducing the honey to 1.5 pounds.

Here's the ingredients:

Fermentables:
1 Lbs American 2-row
4 oz. Carafa Special II
4 oz. Caramunich Type III
4 oz. Black Patent

Steeped in 1 gallon of water at 154F for 6o minutes, then removed grains. Rinsed grains and added rinse water to pot [one gallon water added]. Then added extract:

Extract:
6.6 lbs. Dark Liquid Extract

Hops:
2.5 oz Fuggle - 1 hour
.5 oz Fuggle - 1o minutes

Additions:
2 pounds of honey

Stop boil and add 2 pounds of honey until all honey is dissolved. [you can also add a clarifying acid at some point, but it is not necessary in my opinion]

Yeast:
Nottingham Ale [or, as suggested by brew store and probably preferable in this case, Wyeast #1o28 London, #1o84 Ale, or #1187 Ringwood Ale]

Cool the wort to 7oF and pitch yeast. Add additional water to make 5 gallon batch.

I left batch in my primary fermenter for 4 weeks, however you should probably leave the batch in the primary fermenter for 2 weeks and move to a secondary fermenter for the next 2 weeks. I used dextrose to bottle.

Cheers.