Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Started my first hot sauce

Old 11-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #21
alexp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Just finished up my Holiday Hot Sauce.

Lots of winter flavours, and a few Ghost peppers.

Gets cooked down, and am in the process of Oak aging it.

It tends to disappear really fast.

alexP

Old 11-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #22
VegasJ
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 33

alrighty...

I finally pulled the last Cayenne & Jalapenos off the garden...

I have about 1/2 a grocery (plastic) bag full.

What are the measurements for vinegar, garlic, salt, lemon onion vs around 2 or so lbs of peppers? Should I just do a cayenne only or a jalapeno/cayenne mix?

1st try at this, so be gentle!

Old 11-04-2012, 02:21 AM   #23
Packman715
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasJ View Post
alrighty...

I finally pulled the last Cayenne & Jalapenos off the garden...

I have about 1/2 a grocery (plastic) bag full.

What are the measurements for vinegar, garlic, salt, lemon onion vs around 2 or so lbs of peppers? Should I just do a cayenne only or a jalapeno/cayenne mix?

1st try at this, so be gentle!
one pound peppers to 2 cups vinegar is the ratio that workd for me.
Primary Carboy:soon to be an alt beir
Secondary Carboy: Nutella stout
Mead carboys 9gal total: Acerglyn still fermenting since end of April.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #24
VegasJ

Recipes 

thx

I went ahead and did about 1.5-2 cups to the 1/2 grocery bag... it was about 2lbs or a little more.

I have the sauce done... and I have this awesome smelling seed & skin pulp left over...

what do ya'll do with that? I'm thinking of using a spoon of it for some Chili today

ideas?

Old 11-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #25
mccumath
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yooper,

Gonna make half a batch of that Marie Sharp hot sauce today. Sounds awesome!

EDIT: Hot sauce completed. I have this strange problem with hot sauce colors other than red (mine being carrot orange in color)... So I added in 2 rehydrated guajillo peppers to the food processor and made the Marie Sharp hot sauce red. Strained, and so far so great!

Old 11-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #26
Tamarlane
Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 5

For those who are fans of Sriracha-style hot sauce, I made the below with a random harvest from my garden and it is very similar in flavor and consistency to rooster sauce. Of course if you are buying peppers you may as well get thai peppers and do it proper but my proprietary blend got the heat about right.

Fermentation is a must with this type of sauce - if you don't want to ferment it you can try adding a good fish sauce to simulate the twang of fermentation.... but this is a homebrew forum dammit, so just stop mucking around and ferment it.

First, make a pepper mash in the blender:

1 ghost pepper, 10 scotch bonnets, about a pound of cayenne and hot cow horn peppers, a handful of jalapenos, and three paprikas
6 baby carrots
6-7 garlic bulbs
1 small onion
1-2 tablespoons cane sugar

Blend until smooth.

Add a lacto starter (skim the liquid from a cup of yogurt or add a couple unmilled grains) and store in a dark place for a month or so - under an airlock if possible, if not be prepared to mix daily or skim mold from time to time

After fermentation and aging is complete, return to blender and add a 3-4 tablespoons of honey. Mix one cup vinegar with one cup water and add to the mash in small amounts until you get the consistency and flavor you desire. Blend until very smooth and bottle. Store in fridge.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #27
VegasJ

Recipes 

I love Sriracha.... I had just finished a bottle of it and used the bottle for my batch! My buddy saw that Sunday when they came over for chili...

"this isn't... Sriracha."

"nope, my own blend"

was damn good on the chili

Old 12-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #28
Randar
Damn right I got da brews

Recipes 

Liked 4724 Times on 4617 Posts
Likes Given: 2543

I'm now on year 4 of hot sauce making. I make a 1 gallon batch every year now with the bountiful "year end" harvest from the garden. I typically grow a wide array of peppers and I have found that this give a better balance of flavor and heat in hot sauce form.

Here is also a link to a thread on fermented hot sauce...
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f56/lact...-sauce-294711/

As for my process, I usually start by collecting ripe jalapeno, serrano, habenaro, Thai, Tabasco, hot and sweet Hungarian/banana, cayenne, Anaheims, and anything else I have grown that is ripe... I usually collect and refrigerate (or freeze) them for several weeks until it is time to process them. De-stemmed (I don't bother removing seeds and such as you will see why, later). With each batch of peppers added from the food processor (takes 3-4 rounds) I add a hefty dose of kosher salt. Per gallon batch, I also add 2-3 large shredded carrots, 1/2 of a large onion, 8-10 decent sized cloves of garlic, and one can of drained diced fire roasted tomatoes. The tomatoes and carrots add some color and fermentables. Once finished, I add white vinegar to top off (still leaving a decent amount of head space), and stir the whole thing together. Once stirred, I inoculate the mash with lacto from a batch of sauerkraut that I will make a few weeks before making hot sauce, and again stir the mash.

A very active fermentation lasts 5-6 weeks in general, though I will typically leave in the jug for several months, kept in a relatively cool place like a basement. I have to return and stir/tap down the mash every few days during active fermentation to remove large air pockets. This is more of an issue if you don't leave enough head space. You will have a blow-out, even if you aren't using an airlock, if you don't leave ample head space, so you've been warned. Once the fermentation is no longer obviously active, I will top off the mash with vinegar to within a couple inches of the top of the jug. This again helps lower the pH and further reduce risks for spoilage creating a sort of blanket over the mash.

Once I get around to processing/bottling the hot sauce, I will decant the vinegar from the top of the mash (DO NOT throw this away, it makes a great pepper vinegar for Carolina style pulled pork) and press the mash through a fine sieve to remove seeds and any other larger particles/skin from the final product. Once finished, I have a large bowl of the pressed sauce and I will taste, adding back any vinegar I previously removed in order to get the balance I am looking for. Once bottled, it is shelf-stable and gift-ready, if it lasts that long.

Again, I have found that using a variety of peppers will give the best balance and flavor profile. Roasting some of the peppers may also be an option and will add a bit more depth to the flavor profile, although it won't be as "bright" as a fresh-pepper-only sauce. I also adjust the proportion of VERY hot peppers based on the number of sweeter peppers I may be incorporating. I will substitute more habenaros in place of jalapenos/serranos if I have a lot of hungarian peppers, for example.

Good luck and happy hot sauce making!

Get rich or get sandy trying...-AZ_IPA

Randar, send me some of your hot fluids, so that I can put them in my mouth.-TowsonTiger22

I feel like I may need to take a stroll around gen pop and say hi to my subjects.-Ace_Club
People Like This 
Old 12-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #29
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1888 Times on 1287 Posts
Likes Given: 3355

If I take my pound of frozen jalapenos and put them in an oven with a little salt and olive oil, roast and then buzz in the cuisinart before mixing with some white vinegar... think I will have a product with nice pepper flavor and a little kick or think it would be a bust?

I cant stop buying these bags of produce manager special jalapenos for $0.99 a shot...
the public demands it so I'm tellin' it accurately.
God sent a mean hail storm my way,
I counteracted with a dirty sack of diapers on his highway.
When I die, I don't need a fancy pine box;
throw my body in the Buick, tune the radio to classic rock. ~Grand Buffet

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 12-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #30
g-love
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Great thread! Can't wait to give some of these recipes a shot!