Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > Rhode Island HomeBrew Forum > Anyone in RI built Kals electric brewery?

Old 10-09-2012, 01:17 AM   #31
NewBrewB
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothCrown
NewBrewB, are the volt/amp meters the only thing not working? I love the way everything looks in there! If you need some help or need to borrow some testing equipment let me know! Ive got some time on my hands lol.
I may have to take you up on that. I tried some initial troubleshooting tonight.

Thought I found a missing jumper on the hot bus but that didnt fix it.
Thought maybe the adjustment screw was turned too far left and only giving 0volts output so I turned them to the right 3-4 x but no difference.
Checked the volt/amp portion of the panel against the wiring diagram but it looks like everything is there.

Any ideas? I am almost to the point that I fire it up while open and start poking around with meter probes...

Old 10-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #32
SmoothCrown
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Any luck? I would use probes with everything powered up but if your not comfortable doing that my offer still stands. That's ow I've been doing my build all along. That way you can verify that everything works as your building along.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #33
SmoothCrown
Recipes 

Also having some people over tonight for some brew and campfire and your welcome to come over. PM me if you want to come.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #34
NewBrewB

Recipes 

I got the amp meter working. I was right about the jumper so when I installed that, power was solid up to the variable dc converters. Unfortinately, one of them was bad so I will have to order a new one from china. At least it isnt brew-critical. For now, I just put twist caps on the 4 wires until I have a new converter to connect.

I spent a good portion of the day working on my keggles (and soldered a half coupling in backwards). Despite the drama, it was a productive day.

Hoping to at least do some system testing and sanitation by tomorrow night--maybe brew my last extract kit mon or tues night.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #35
NewBrewB

Recipes 

Sorry I missed the festivities last night. I got knee-deep in troubleshooting and things are not going well.

(1) Looks like my thermometer coupling on my BK leaks. I tried tightening it but that didnt' fix it so it must be the weld. I'll have to hit that with some more solder/flux later today.
(2) When my kettles are NOT plugged into the control panel, the element switches turn the element lights on/off and with a tester, the outlet underneath is hot. When they are plugged in, the element indicator lights don't even come-on. I opened it up while it was on and flipped the element select switch back/forth and the relays appear to be working properly. My two thoughts are either (a) the SSRs are wired upside-down (I barely remember what they look like from when I originally installed, but I know the wires are not long enough to simply switch them and see if that fixes it--going to have to make all new wires) or (b) the power cables to the keggles are not wired properly to the twist-lock plug. Since (b) is a lot easier to troubleshoot without making whole new wires inside the control panel, I'll probably check that first.

Q: Do you know if it matters which (black/white) wire goes to which screw on the element? I didn't think polarity mattered but maybe it does? The ground is obviously correct to the green screw.

One success, though---both pumps worked perfectly, though I am realizing why people hard-plumb these rigs. Every time I disconnect/move a hose, it invariably drips on the floor. I need to find a plastic "tray" about 10' x 4'. Anyone know of an industrial application for something like this? I was thinking maybe one of those trays that goes under an AC unit in the attic to keep drips from coming through the ceiling.

Any chance you have some time today to help me out with a little troubleshooting?

Old 10-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #36
KramE
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Sorry to hear about your luck! I wish I could be more helpful when it came to the wiring, perhaps you should post something in the electric forum, or shoot a question to P-J?

As for a drip tray, does it have to be plastic, and how tall? A cheap application would either be a cake pan, or plastic tote lid (I swear I don't use plastic totes for -everything-)

Old 10-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #37
SmoothCrown
Recipes 

Wow you did get a lot done. As far as the element there is no polarity hot is hot. Green is ground. Are you running the elements in water? I do have time later today if you want, sometime after 6?

Old 10-22-2012, 01:32 AM   #38
NewBrewB

Recipes 

Well, I officially brewed on the system today. It was my last extract kit....a Holiday Ale.

Everything went pretty well. I still need a stainless steel washer so I can attach the temp probe on the mash tun before I can do an AG batch. Oh, I also used the HERMS coil as a chiller and that was pretty effective. Going to list my immersion chillers for sale I think.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:11 AM   #39
konrad
Recipes 

Hey guys. I'm in Mass but I finished my build year and a half ago. Wiring was my favorite part. Bending the coil was the biggest pain for me and took me a long time to get it done. I love my setup now and brewing is so much more enjoyable.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:21 AM   #40
NewBrewB

Recipes 

Awesome thanks for the response! Did you post pictures of your build?