Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Strong Ale > Partial - Pirate Strong Ale

Old 06-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #81
j1laskey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I usually do the same as pwortiz stated and reuse the "oaked rum" for later use.

You should get a nice balance of rum and oak by just adding the soaked chips.

Don't forget that vanilla bean....
The Secretion Brewery

Let's think it over and stop making sense

Old 06-25-2012, 10:55 PM   #82
AirricK
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwortiz View Post
I'm assuming you had to use nearly the full bottle of rum, right? I did - if you didn't, please tell me your secret! So, adding all that rum would basically be bad juju for your beer says I.

I filtered mine out using a mesh bag over another container so I could save the "oaked rum" and use it in some marinades or something down the road - you can definitely get the difference in taste!

That said, you're going to want to transfer if you have that option so that you have 2 things going on:
1) You're removing the beer from all the proteins that have settled out.
2) Clarity of the final product will be better as you'll have less protein base to suck up when racking to the bottling bucket.

However, if you don't have the option, then you gotta work with what you got

Best of luck!

J <- If I mispoke here, call me out!
I went a little different route and used Captain Morgan Black rum (which is already aged in blackened oak barrels) with 4oz of toasted french oak chips. I poured about half the bottle into a jar with the chips. Its 47.3% so I'll most likely end up straining out most of the rum.

As far as transferring, I should have another carboy available in 3 weeks so I will be able to do the transfer. I will be kegging this so I don't have to worry about a bottling bucket! Will update as time goes on!

Old 06-29-2012, 03:08 AM   #83
bgrimmer
Recipes 

Ok did second taste test, reminds of a strong IPA with hints of pineapple and the oak n rum. Tastey

Old 06-29-2012, 05:16 PM   #84
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Well, that sounds better, grimmer. Still...I am surprised by the "strong IPA" comment. It'll be interesting to hear the next taste test results

Old 06-29-2012, 05:36 PM   #85
SoupNazi
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I've had this bottled for about 5 weeks and its flavors are just starting to blend and mellow into a nice, smooth drink. I tried it with some friends at 3 weeks bottled and it had too much hot alcohol taste as well as a lot of rummy oak flavor. NOT a session beer though.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #86
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Continues to be awesome and get better. Had some guests over this past weekend and they slammed the Pirate. Even warm. Since I have a variety of beers I stock basically 4 of each in my minifridge for a total of 20 pints. I replaced the 4 of the pirate midway through the night so they couldn't have been cold and it did not matter. I was out.

Will be making it again this week!

Old 07-14-2012, 10:54 PM   #87
AirricK
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just racked my batch onto the oak chips/vanilla bean. Checked the gravity and its at 1.022. After having an OG of 1.092 this is perfect! Had a little taste and was pretty shocked at how much pineapple flavor there is. Really sweet. Hopefully the oak chips can balance this out! Can't wait to keg it!

Old 07-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #88
mnsveatch
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirricK View Post
Just racked my batch onto the oak chips/vanilla bean. Checked the gravity and its at 1.022. After having an OG of 1.092 this is perfect! Had a little taste and was pretty shocked at how much pineapple flavor there is. Really sweet. Hopefully the oak chips can balance this out! Can't wait to keg it!
I haven't really got any of the pineapple and cinnamon notes, just the oak and vanilla. I will let go a couple of more weeks, and see how it goes. Maybe Pineapple and cinnamon in secondary, instead of boil?

Old 07-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #89
j1laskey
Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Did you use fresh or canned pineapple and how much?
The Secretion Brewery

Let's think it over and stop making sense

Old 07-16-2012, 10:06 PM   #90
mnsveatch
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I used a whole, very ripe pineapple.
It has been in bottle only a couple of weeks?