Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Strong Ale > Partial - Pirate Strong Ale

Old 03-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #141
j1laskey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Yeah. I am a BIAB guy. Same end product with less equipment and cleaning. I keep it simple. Work smarter not harder. Parsimony.
The Secretion Brewery

Let's think it over and stop making sense

Old 03-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #142
mrmiyagi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1laskey
I will be brewing this again Saturday. This time I will be substituting the 5# DME for a total of 15# 2-Row. I will leave the rest of the recipe the same.

Beertools states the numbers as:

OG 1.089 FG 1.017
SRM 15.93
IBU 36.4
ABV 9.5

All the above are very close to the original numbers. I will follow up in a few weeks with some notes.
Ok...Beertools must be using Rager.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #143
j1laskey
Recipes 

I use the default of "Beertools" for the Utilization Algorithms on Beertools. I reset it for Rager and the IBU is calculated as 39.4. Very close.
The Secretion Brewery

Old 03-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #144
mrmiyagi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just bottled an extract version of this. Used US-05 (had it on hand) which fermented it out to 1.016. Got a lot of pineapple aroma and flavor and much less of the other flavor additions. Will see how it ends up after it is carbed and cold.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:28 AM   #145
mrmiyagi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Snuck a taste of one of these after just 8 days in the bottle, cooled for 45 min in the freezer (yes, less than ideal, I know). This is already an amazing beer! I cannot believe how well the favors blend together. A little Citra is the perfect compliment, too. I can't believe this is so smooth. This will be a beautiful beer when done. Have to say I was a little skeptical brewing this, but wow! Well done...excellent recipe!

Old 04-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #146
horsepackage
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just got all the grains for this... picking up the spices and fruit later today and brewing day tomorrow... been wanting to try this for some time and I can't wait.. cheers

Forgive me if this was answered but when u add the chips to the fermenter do you pour in the left over rum as well or just the chips!?

Old 04-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #147
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Just the chips. You'll want to strain the rum into another container. While not the most drinkable, you can use it for BBQ (jerk chicken glaze maybe?) and other sundries. Just don't waste it!

I usually use a sanitized mesh bag and just pour from one container to another (mason jar?) and that's worked pretty well thus far.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:29 AM   #148
Lurch69
Recipes 

Likes Given: 10

So I FINALLY brewed this today! Despite having a very low efficiency (I'm still trying to dial in my keggle for BIAB), the brew day went well and this is now in the carboy doing its thing. I made this per the original recipe except for 2 modifications. I'm going to soak the oak chips (French, med toast) in Kraken rum, and I'm using Wyeast 1764 Pacman yeast since it's my house yeast. I had a little wort left over after filling my carboy so I put some in a 1 gal jug and am fermenting that with Wyeast 3864 Unibroue just for fun. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks j1laskey for the recipe, I'm looking forward to trying it!

Old 04-06-2013, 10:43 PM   #149
USMCBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1laskey View Post
I will be brewing this again Saturday. This time I will be substituting the 5# DME for a total of 15# 2-Row. I will leave the rest of the recipe the same.

Beertools states the numbers as:

OG 1.089 FG 1.017
SRM 15.93
IBU 36.4
ABV 9.5

All the above are very close to the original numbers. I will follow up in a few weeks with some notes.
I'm looking at doing your AG version, but I'm getting the following numbers with 15# 2-row...

OG - 1.087 FG - 1.021
SRM - 11.0
IBU - 23.57
ABV - 8.65

I'm using iBrewMaster with 75% efficiency. Any ideas why there is such a difference between our SRM's and IBU's? Thanks!

Primary: Irish Red Ale
Bottled: Blonde Ale, Honey Kolsche
On-Deck: not sure yet

Old 04-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #150
j1laskey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBrewer View Post
I'm looking at doing your AG version, but I'm getting the following numbers with 15# 2-row...

OG - 1.087 FG - 1.021
SRM - 11.0
IBU - 23.57
ABV - 8.65

I'm using iBrewMaster with 75% efficiency. Any ideas why there is such a difference between our SRM's and IBU's? Thanks!
I am not familiar with the iBrewMaster software. Which algorithm do you have you hop utilization set for?

Also, have you adjusted the weigh of hops added due to AA%?
The Secretion Brewery