Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Yeast when bottling a lager

Old 04-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
Dunkelman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast when bottling a lager

Hi all,

I'm ready to bottle my third batch ever, and my first lager. I have read on here how a lot of people use a third or a half of a packet of dry yeast in the bottling bucket to aid in carbonating the bottles. Can it be ANY yeast? I have an ale yeast from a different kit, and I was wondering if I could use that. The packet says X, ACB 6G Yeast, Premium, Made in EU.

Thanks all!

Old 04-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
DaDzBrewery
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkelman View Post
Hi all,

I'm ready to bottle my third batch ever, and my first lager. I have read on here how a lot of people use a third or a half of a packet of dry yeast in the bottling bucket to aid in carbonating the bottles. Can it be ANY yeast? I have an ale yeast from a different kit, and I was wondering if I could use that. The packet says X, ACB 6G Yeast, Premium, Made in EU.

Thanks all!
This is a practice that I've never used.. There are plenty of yeast in suspension to bottle and get proper carbonation.. even if you cold crash before bottling.. So I wouldn't worry about it.. Just my opinion

About to : Falconer's Flight IPA
Primary : APA(Cascade), HBC342 hops IPA
Secondary:
Secondary:
Bottled : Hefeweizen, APA, Imperial Oatmeal Stout,
Kegged : APA(cascade+amarillo) , Smoked Robust Porter , Scottish Ale Export 80 Shilling

Old 04-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 550 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDzBrewery View Post
... even if you cold crash before bottling..
It's a lager, so he's cold crashing for a few months.

To the OP - any yeast will do. Fermentation is complete (ex. priming sugar), so this yeast will not materially affect your flavor profile. Use what's convenient.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
DaDzBrewery
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
It's a lager, so he's cold crashing for a few months.

To the OP - any yeast will do. Fermentation is complete (ex. priming sugar), so this yeast will not materially affect your flavor profile. Use what's convenient.
I was just throwing the cold crash in there ( for other beers ) I had already answered the question, I don't see why you are suggesting the use of more yeast, Lager yeast are cultured to lager temps.. the only way possible I would even think about putting more yeast in, is if I lager a beer for a year or more.. ( more settling ) but other than that.. there's no reason to..

Secondary:
Secondary:
Kegged : APA(cascade+amarillo) , Smoked Robust Porter , Scottish Ale Export 80 Shilling

Old 04-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
Dunkelman
Recipes 

Hmmm...it's been lagering at 40 degrees for a little over 3 months. So one vote for adding yeast, one vote for not adding. I'd obviously like to keep it simple, but want the bottles to be properly carbed.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
StoneHands
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I lagered a bock awhile back for about 4 months and didn't add any fresh yeast. It carbed up, but took awhile (2 months to carb). If you add yeast, it'll probably carb a little faster. If you don't, it'll still carb.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
DaDzBrewery
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkelman View Post
Hmmm...it's been lagering at 40 degrees for a little over 3 months. So one vote for adding yeast, one vote for not adding. I'd obviously like to keep it simple, but want the bottles to be properly carbed.
You just have to remember that the colder the fermentation the more co2 is already in the beer.. http://hbd.org/brewery/library/YPrimerMH.html ... then here is a claculator.. to help.. http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Secondary:
Secondary:

Old 04-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
Pie_Man
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I'm curious about this as well as I'll be bottling my first lager in two weeks. I was planning on adding dry US-05, about a half a packet. I've read that many commercial breweries add yeast at bottling, maybe more due to filtering their beer, idk. I was also planning to add yeast because I recently had an under carbed beer and I don't think it can hurt to add a small amount of yeast back, but I'm open to feedback.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #9
eppo
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

is adding yeast going to hurt anything, no, so i would just add a little bit. I know i read somewhere how much you need... 1million cells/bottle... dont quote me on that.
I think you can use anything you want, i would probably go with a cheap clean yeast... US-05?
just did the research for you, 1/4 dry yeast pack in the bottling bucket... rehydrate first like you normally would.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #10
Dunkelman
Recipes 

Okay, I'm gonna use the yeast then. Thanks so much, everyone.