Croquetas de jamon serrano
Serrano ham croquettes, scaled for 2 (can be doubled or whatever):
3.5 Tbsp butter
1/2 onion minced
1/4c unbleached ap flour
1 Tbsp parsley
Serrano ham to taste chopped up (~2 oz in my case I guess)
1 beaten egg
~1c bread crumbs
oil for frying
1. Melt better over med-low heat in a saucepan then add the flour and onion and fry lightly over low heat so as not to burn the mixture or stick it to the pan.
2. Whisk in the milk well and add the parsley and ham, and season the mixture to taste. Cook gently until the mixture is very thick and easily pulls away from the pan.
3. Cool the mixture well in the fridge (overnight best but several hours will work fine).
4. Using two spoons form the cooled batter into quenelles or use your favorite method for making little dumplings of the batter. I usually get ~10 croquettes.
5. Dip the croquettes in the beaten egg and then the breadcrumbs. Place on a plate or sheet and slip back in the fridge while the oil heats.
6. Heat ~1" of oil in a skillet or saucepan to 350-375F and fry the croquettes to golden brown.