Originally Posted by uncommonsense
What did you do with it. Did you add water to bring it down or did you leave it and just have a higher OG.
Actually, my original reading was 1.090 before
I topped it off. I am sure I broke a couple of cardinal rules. I did not end up with my desired volume, so I add some water to the (1 gallon) carboy, shook it up with my sanitized hand on top, then took another reading. The water I added took it down to 1.070. I guess in the future I'll keep some sanitized water on hand. If fermentation stops in the 1.015-1.020 range, I should have a beer with close to ~ 7% abv (est. 5.5% abv), which I don't mind, as long as it tastes balanced.
I just hope I can reproduce these results, since I will be basing my future recipes on 85% efficiency.