Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > all my beers have been finishing 1.003ish

Old 04-03-2012, 12:21 AM   #1
J311gonzo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default all my beers have been finishing 1.003ish

i cant figure out why all of my brews lately have been finishing right around 1.003-1.005... i'm not complaining becasue the ABV has been high but all my brews have come out dryer then I would like. the only thing I can think of is that my cheap walmart thermometer is the problem. I've mashed around 154 degrees on most of the beers I'm talking about and still I finish here.

If I am correct, what themometer should I purchase from where????

Thanks!

Old 04-03-2012, 12:24 AM   #2
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 71

You don't need a new thermometer, just need to calibrate it.

Get some water to a hard rolling boil. Take the temperature. It should be 212*F if you're a sea-level.

Then crush some ice in a cup (like, a lot of ice. Fill that sucker up) and pour on just enough cold water to cover the ice. There should be crushed ice uniformly in the water. Take the temp. It should be 32*F.

If they're off you can either get a new thermometer or just adjust accordingly

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 04-03-2012, 12:38 AM   #3
DrinkNoH2O
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts

+1 for calibrating your thermometer.

Honestly though I think recipe formulation has a greater affect on wort fermentability/final gravity than mash temp.

You might post a couple of your latest recipes up here for us to see. Are you using a very high percentage of base malts? What are your starting gravities?

Also, what yeasts are you using? It would be a good idea to calculate your apparent attenuation and compare that to the expected attenuation for the strains you're using.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:28 AM   #4
J311gonzo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

one paticularlly was a recipie I got from here... it was the Black Pearl Porter... it was a 1.050ish brew... I also did a dark wheat brew and it was 1.046... and both finished around 1.003. Both yeasts were liquid strains and honestly I couldn't tell you right this second what I used. The one thing that I am pretty sure of is that my cheapo therm has got to change lol

Old 04-03-2012, 01:50 AM   #5
cyclonite
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wow, that is dry ;-). Definitely either calibrate your thermometer or get a new one. I would highly recommend a Thermapen. They are fast, and very accurate, but they are pricey (~ $90). You can get them on Amazon or Thremoworks.com. Worth the money IMO. If that is too much, the CDN DTQ450x on Amazon or from Bobby M's site (BrewHardware.com) is good for the money ($15-20).
Bottled: Blé de Minuit, Belgian Stout, Fuller's London Pride, Tripel Wit, Red, APA, Dubbel, Oatmeal Stout, RIS, Wee Heavy
Kegged: APA, Doppelbock, Spiced Cider, C3IPA

"Beer... Now there's a temporary solution!"

Old 04-03-2012, 01:55 AM   #6
fredtheseal
Recipes 

I had the same problem. I was using a standard "floating thermometer" from my Partial Mash days. Me and my buddy were going crazy trying to figure it out until he bought a new thermometer and we compared the 2. Mine was reading higher than actual by almost 10 degrees.

Really weren't bad beers, but like you said, too dry for my tastes.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #7
J311gonzo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok sweet guys thanks for the advise. Sounds like I'm going to have to get a new thermometer.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #8
bruno_78
Recipes 

Does everything taste fine? No off flavors? Bacteria can consume the leftover sugar that Saccharomyces leaves behind, and dry out the beer.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #9
Qhrumphf
Spirit of '69
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2351 Times on 1673 Posts
Likes Given: 1012

Are you degassing your FG sample? C02 in suspension can affect your gravity readings. Shake the sample before you read it, and make sure to spin the hydrometer a few times before reading to clear off any bubbles. I'm also assuming you're correcting the reading for temperature too?
Casked: Scottish 80/-
Bottle Cellar: Brett B Tripel, Brett C English Barleywine, Lamebic, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C Bitter, Wild Cider, Bourbon Barrel Sour Stout, Wee Heavy

Old 04-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #10
J311gonzo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The beer tastes good... Just dry. I tested my therm and it was good... My hydrometer needed adjusted so I did so... Appears as tho the paper inside moved so I reset it to 0.000 with water.. I'll see if that's it. I've never had an infection that I know of and like I said everything tastes fine just dry.