Spicy beer - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Spicy beer

Old 04-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
amedelman
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Boston, MA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm thinking about trying to make a spicy beer, with hot sauce or peppers to give it a kick. Does anyone have a recipe for something like this?

Planning: Brandon O's Graff, Java Stout

Old 04-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts

I wouldn't use hot sauce, as many of them have vinegar, spices, or preservatives in them. As far as peppers, there have been several threads on them. From what I understand it's hard to know how much to use as they vary so much.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
SouthBay
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Olympia, WA
Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

The alaskan bootleggers bible has a recipe in it. id suggest looking there.

It's really basic though, and is all extract, iirc
become a gear

Old 04-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #4
utesmt
Recipes 

Mar 2012

I made one with serranos and ghost pepper-infused vodka that turned out nice. The good thing about adding infused vodka is that it can be added at bottling, which allows you to go easy on the pepper at first. You avoid overdoing it and still hedge against not going far enough.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
ploppythesausage
Recipes 

Sep 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I did a chocolate coffee chili stout with 3 dried Nagas (ghost peppers) in near the end of the boil, left in until it cooled. This amount is perfect for me, heatwise - it's got that 'warming' glow and a good amount of heat and fruity naga taste. Maybe a bit much for non-chili heads though.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
zacjack
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Indianapolis, IN
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

my LHBS did a ghost pepper pale ale that came out pretty good. Not sure I would want to drink a ton of it, but for sampling it was unique.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #7
SouthBay
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Olympia, WA
Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by utesmt View Post
I made one with serranos and ghost pepper-infused vodka that turned out nice. The good thing about adding infused vodka is that it can be added at bottling, which allows you to go easy on the pepper at first. You avoid overdoing it and still hedge against not going far enough.
I like the idea of doing the infused vodka. You could really make an interesting beer that way.

2 row, cara pils, magnum hops, nottingham, and vodka infused with chilis, lime, and maybe cilantro? sounds interesting!