Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First "real" brew, Irish red ale.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #21
Doctor_Wily
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

checked my thermometer stick today and it was reading between 59 and 63.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:06 PM   #22
TarVolon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_Wily View Post
checked my thermometer stick today and it was reading between 59 and 63.
Well right now it's probably reading about the ambient temperature. Over the weekend, it was likely reading higher. But if the ambient temperature is around 61, then even during vigorous fermentation, you were probably around 68-70. Which is fine for most ale yeasts.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #23
Doctor_Wily
Recipes 

So Friday marks 1 week since i started the brew. I screwed up and didn't get an original gravity reading (oh well i guess) but was thinking of opening the lid up and taking a peek inside. Would I be able to take a gravity reading at this point by sanitizing the hydrometer and putting it in the bucket? I am hesitant to do it mainly because I dont want to risk an infection. This is the same reason I didn't take an OG reading. I don't have a cylinder to take samples with and test in; at the top of my list for additional equipment.

Cheers.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:36 PM   #24
1KD1
Recipes 

You can do it with a well sanitized hydro and hand/arm. The trouble lies in getting an accurate reading at an angle. I'm guessing, I have never tried it. I just use the tube that the hydro came in.

It wouldn't do you much good now. I would just wait another 2-3 weeks before taking a reading.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #25
Doctor_Wily
Recipes 

duh.... I suppose I could use that tube aye? I wasn't sure about using it for a reading so I was hesitant. Sanitize the tube and dip a sample.... I may do that unless someone advises otherwise.

Cheers

Old 04-04-2012, 10:44 PM   #26
1KD1
Recipes 

I edited my last post while you were typing your reply!

Buy a cheap turkey Baster and sanitize it (or steal one from someone else's kitchen) LoL

Using a turkey baster or actual wine thief, etc will cause less stirring of the beer in the fermenter.

Then dump the wort from the Baster into the hydro tube. It is water tight for short periods of time. I left mine overnight (been drinking) and it leaked a very small amount onto the countertop.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #27
Doctor_Wily
Recipes 

Just a random question I had. Anyone know how long sanitized water can be stored for? I was thinking of making up a gallon in an old water jug I have just to keep it on hand for stuff quick sanitize of equipment and stuff.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:45 AM   #28
Doctor_Wily
Recipes 

So i just checked my SG and it's reading 1.020. No signs of continued ferm (as in no bubbles or anything), a slight bit of scum along the side of the tank that looks like hops gunk. Tasted my sample and it has a good flavor, a bit bitter like hops and an almost slightly olive after taste.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #29
1KD1
Recipes 

I have read that sanitizer can be store for long periods of time. I leave some on a spray bottle and use it for quick sanitizing.

Fermentation isn't over just cause the airlock doesn't have bubbles coming out. You need to take a hydrometer reading. Then wait 2-3 days and take another reading. If the reading is the same, fermentation is complete. And it is safe to bottle/keg.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:48 PM   #30
WickedLB
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_Wily View Post
Just a random question I had. Anyone know how long sanitized water can be stored for? I was thinking of making up a gallon in an old water jug I have just to keep it on hand for stuff quick sanitize of equipment and stuff.
It depends on the sanitzer: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/star...or-fight-3710/

Star-San lasts months, but iodophor breaks down fairly quickly.

Keg 1: Empty =(
Keg 2: Blonde Ale