Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Old 01-02-2009, 12:18 AM   #721
BeerPressure
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Took a six pack over to a New Years party last night, i wanted to see what my friends thought of my first all grain brew. They all loved it. this recipe will be made again

Old 01-03-2009, 08:22 PM   #722
Jonnio

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ed - do you think it would drastically change the recipe to use Crystal as the bittering hop here? I have lots of it and am looking for a good use, from the flavor profile it seems that, as a bittering hop, it would do just about the same as the Cascade, but take a little more of it.
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Then that means dumping your beer because you think it's bad is tantamount to abortion! And as Big Kahuna says, drinking a beer too soon is tatamount to beer pedophilia...

Old 01-04-2009, 12:30 AM   #723
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnio View Post
Ed - do you think it would drastically change the recipe to use Crystal as the bittering hop here? I have lots of it and am looking for a good use, from the flavor profile it seems that, as a bittering hop, it would do just about the same as the Cascade, but take a little more of it.
I would not recommend it. Crystal is basically an American Hallertau substitute. It's a noble hop used for pilsners and lagers.

I would use Centennial or Amarillo and match AAU's.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:40 AM   #724
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Crystal is the only hop used in Roques Brutal Bitter...so I think it would work nicely or be a nice experiment

Old 01-04-2009, 12:41 AM   #725
Jonnio

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

hehe, well, ed was 9 minutes after I put the hops in, so I will call it a nice experiment. Maybe I will send him a bottle so he can compare it to the real deal and see if I ruined his popular beer
Then that means dumping your beer because you think it's bad is tantamount to abortion! And as Big Kahuna says, drinking a beer too soon is tatamount to beer pedophilia...

Old 01-04-2009, 01:02 AM   #726
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnio View Post
hehe, well, ed was 9 minutes after I put the hops in, so I will call it a nice experiment. Maybe I will send him a bottle so he can compare it to the real deal and see if I ruined his popular beer
Brutal Bitter is damn good, so I think you should send me one also

Old 01-04-2009, 02:37 AM   #727
Jonnio

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

lets see how it turns out first

I am pretty sure I had an issue getting the top off water mixed in, at least that's what I hope. I ended up a little over a half gallon shy after doing a 75 minute boil and my SG is only 1.04. That would be 58% efficiency which I can't fathom is true. I think I am going to do some more mixing and try and take another reading in a little while.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:23 PM   #728
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 886 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 501

I made up 5 gallons yesterday afternoon, and it started bubbling away today. Looks great and smells great. My girlfriend was walking in and out of the kitchen when I was brewing and noted that the wort had a nice smell and color to it.

Too bad it took nearly 5 hours to make! I enjoy making all grain brews but my electric stove top is killing me. I guess I'll have to eventually make the move outside with a turkey fryer.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:38 AM   #729
BeerPressure
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Not to brag, but I did this for my first AG and had the current NY state home brewer of the year had a sample and gave it a thumbs up.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:48 PM   #730
jimba009
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks for the awesome recipe Ed! i have brewed this once and am planning a batch for this weekend. my LHBS is out of munich and doesnt carry vienna, i am thinking english pale ale malt for substitute. What does everyone think? (i have a sack of vienna on back order so this can wait if it has to...)