Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Old 04-12-2013, 11:51 PM   #2771
smath
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewed this for the first time about 3 weeks ago. Only change was a 90 minute boil (with a 90 minute hop addition) because it was really cold and windy which led to me having trouble maintaining a good boil for the first 30 minutes....then i ran out of propane....twice...) Other than that, everything went smoothly

I did a 10 gallon batch that I split into two fermenters. Pitched Notty into one and S-04 into the other. In the S-04 carboy, I also added a tea that I made with orange zest, bitter orange peel, coriander, and seeds of paradise. I steeped everything in boiling water for ~15 minutes and dumped it all into the carboy. I dry hopped both batches with 1oz of cascade after 1 week in primary and let sit for another week before racking to kegs.

I'm tasting the first samples right now after 3 days on the gas and they are both delicious. A little bit more bitter than planned due to the 90 minute boil but still very balanced and delicious. I think I'll use more orange peel and coriander next time because the flavor and aroma is pretty muted right now. That may change once it has time to condition for a couple of weeks (if it lasts that long!).

Here's a pic: A little bit of chill haze and a bit cloudy due to it being the first pint out of the keg but still beautiful!

Thanks for the recipe, EdWort!

Old 04-14-2013, 11:13 PM   #2772
HarryGrowth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by smath View Post
Brewed this for the first time about 3 weeks ago. Only change was a 90 minute boil (with a 90 minute hop addition) because it was really cold and windy which led to me having trouble maintaining a good boil for the first 30 minutes....then i ran out of propane....twice...) Other than that, everything went smoothly

I did a 10 gallon batch that I split into two fermenters. Pitched Notty into one and S-04 into the other. In the S-04 carboy, I also added a tea that I made with orange zest, bitter orange peel, coriander, and seeds of paradise. I steeped everything in boiling water for ~15 minutes and dumped it all into the carboy. I dry hopped both batches with 1oz of cascade after 1 week in primary and let sit for another week before racking to kegs.

I'm tasting the first samples right now after 3 days on the gas and they are both delicious. A little bit more bitter than planned due to the 90 minute boil but still very balanced and delicious. I think I'll use more orange peel and coriander next time because the flavor and aroma is pretty muted right now. That may change once it has time to condition for a couple of weeks (if it lasts that long!).

Here's a pic: A little bit of chill haze and a bit cloudy due to it being the first pint out of the keg but still beautiful!

Thanks for the recipe, EdWort!
Beer would clear up and taste a whole lot better if you changed the glass it was poured in. Try something purple. Looks great anyway!

Old 04-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #2773
libeerty
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Made this with just Simcoe and Conan (yeast harvested from Heady Topper.) My friends are convinced it is the best beer I have ever made. My only issue is that Conan attenuates CRAZILY so my FG was lower than I wanted. Next time, I am going use this same recipe, but up the grain a bit.

Absolutely amazing grainbill for a pale ale!

Old 04-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #2774
radek
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Brewed this about 2 months ago; keg is now nearly empty. Great recipe template that lends itself easily to tinkering. Used crystal 40 in this one; next one I will use completely different hops; some Amarillo would go nicely with the Vienna malt, I think.

Thanks Ed.
Click image for larger version

Name:	beer1.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	115823   Click image for larger version

Name:	beer2.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	115824  

Old 04-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #2775
ladodger34
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Gonna order the ingredients for this and try it for a BIAB batch!

Old 04-19-2013, 12:28 AM   #2776
MaltedBayerl
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by barleywhore69 View Post
Sigh...
5 gallons of this will probably get dumped.
I never quite got it to really boil with my crappy stove.
So it is totally my (stove's) fault.
Now I have a heatstick.
It tastes like DMS (I think).
Very unpleasant. Should have known. Tasted like crap in the hydrometer samples every time...
Sucks.
I will try again though.
It got better after a couple weeks. All drunk up now!

Old 04-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #2777
Amesanite
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Bottled only a week ago but I couldn't wait. My first taste of my first brew. It's delicious.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-587308554.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	117039

Old 04-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #2778
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 663 Times on 259 Posts
Likes Given: 155

My first keg finished force carbing last night. The second is carbing right meow.

Delicious. The warrior I subbed for bittering is a little sharper at the finish, but it's still very very drinkable. I'll be putting it ahead of Cream of Three Crops and Centennial Blonde as-written. Though I think the Centennial Blonde could take the lead back with a simple dry hop of... Centennials.

Pricing using recipe posted previously, using my LHBS for grains and Yakima Valley Hops for bulk hops, comes out to $25.85 for 10.5 gallons. For frame of reference, Cream of Three Crops costs me $24.78 and Centennial Blonde costs me $21.23 for the same batch sizes.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 04-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #2779
mrklueber
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
My first keg finished force carbing last night. The second is carbing right meow.

Delicious. The warrior I subbed for bittering is a little sharper at the finish, but it's still very very drinkable. I'll be putting it ahead of Cream of Three Crops and Centennial Blonde as-written. Though I think the Centennial Blonde could take the lead back with a simple dry hop of... Centennials.

Pricing using recipe posted previously, using my LHBS for grains and Yakima Valley Hops for bulk hops, comes out to $25.85 for 10.5 gallons. For frame of reference, Cream of Three Crops costs me $24.78 and Centennial Blonde costs me $21.23 for the same batch sizes.
Thaddius, thanks for the price comparisons. Sometimes I forget to calculate the cost of my brews since I buy most of my grain in bulk. Nice information to know.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #2780
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 663 Times on 259 Posts
Likes Given: 155

I buy in bulk too. My wife was nice enough to enter my entire inventory into BeerSmith and set the prices, so BeerSmith does all the work.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)