Friends and memories - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Friends and memories

Old 04-06-2012, 12:19 AM   #21
slomo

Recipes 

Jan 2009
sacramento, ca.
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Yopper I am sorry to hear about your friend. My uncle Jim had a heart attack last year, and fortunately he survived. It really struck home for me because he lives in Indiana and I am not able to see him as much as I would like. My uncle is the glue that holds my family together, so I Skype him and call him as much as possible now. Seems like you and your friend are just as close as i am to my uncle. It will be hard but try and enjoy these final moments, and remeber all the great times you had with him. I will drink a pint to you and your friend, and keep you in my prayers.
The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Old 04-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #22
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 8030 Times on 5609 Posts

Mike never did get a chance to start Hospice care. He died last night. His funeral is on Saturday.

He always thought I was the best brewer in the world.

I will miss that man.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #23
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 5020 Times on 3390 Posts

Oh, I'm so sad to hear this. My prayers go out to you and his friends and family.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:35 PM   #24
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Oh, I'm so sad to hear this. My prayers go out to you and his friends and family.
Bob is going to speak at his funeral, and share some of the funny stories that many people (including his SO!) have never heard.

We've been looking at photos today, and sharing some of our favorite "Mike" stuff together. I called my daughter, and she sobbed like an infant. He really was a family friend, and my kids thought of him as an uncle. The old drunk uncle, I guess, the one who does the "pull my finger" routine.

This morning, about 10 AM, Bob went to the chest freezer and was digging around for something for dinner tonight. He ended up going to the bottom, and found a container of frozen smelt from last spring that Mike had given us. It even had "Bob" on the container in Mike's meticulous printing.

That was it- Bob totally lost it. He came upstairs and told me, and we both lost it. It's funny, the thing that tips you over the edge to pure grief. Who would think that we'd be reduced to sobs by frozen smelt.

Tomorrow night for dinner, we're having fried smelt and homebrew and lifting out glasses to Mike. Those were two of his favorite things.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:39 PM   #25
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ossining, NY
Liked 2134 Times on 1409 Posts

Just so you know, I have tears streaming down my face. I dont know you or Bob well enough to be of much good... but my thoughts are with you both. Life is for the living, but its those that have left who make us who we are.

I guess I'm profound or something... sigh...

:-(

HUG

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 04-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #26
Vernacular

Recipes 

Oct 2011
Batavia, NY, NY
Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

I'd never have thought that HBT would bring me to tears. As lifes goes on... so shall we.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:02 AM   #27
Dan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Makakilo, Hawaii
Liked 2204 Times on 1381 Posts

Yooper, I started to read your post 24 at work today, couldn't make it through it cause I started tearing up. Read it at home.. waterworks.

Heartfelt condolence to your family and his.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:16 AM   #28
corkybstewart

Recipes 

Jun 2011
Carlsbad, NM
Liked 230 Times on 161 Posts

My boss and best friend died of cancer a couple of years ago. He decided early on not to fight it, he knew it would be futile. He came to the office until 10 days before he died, and my wife and I visited him almost daily until the day he died. He retained his sense of humor until the very end and was (is) a real inspiration to all of us. We shared half a Budwieser 2 days before he died, he just wanted one last taste before he died. We miss him but as I said the dignity he maintained to the very end was amazing. I hope all goes as smoothly for your friend.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:30 AM   #29
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006

Thank you all so much!

Dan, the funeral sucked. And was awesome. Both. We tried hard to celebrate Mike's life and his contributions to the world. He was an avid fisherman, a nuclear engineer, an environmentalist, a food geek, a gardener, and a beer lover. He was so much more than any obituary can describe.

The best part of that day involved just Bob and me. After the funeral, we drove home talking about Mike's books. In his first published book, it was set in various places in the Ottawa National Forest where he volunteered for Bob.

In the beginning of the book, he talks about a hole-in-the-wall bar in Kenton, Michigan (population 200ish) he called "Jumpy's" that had clientale simply decorate ceiling tiles. Some were gorgeous works of art- some are not.

Anyway, Mike would "go fishing" which involved an hour of fishing and then three hours of drinking beer at "Jumpy's" and chatting with the lovely Janey.

Anyway, we went to Hoppy's (first time I had every been there!), ordered a beer ($2.00 each) and saluted Mike's tile, and told them to tell Janey that he passed away after a courageous fight. It was the perfect closure for us, as Mike was NOT that guy in the coffin dressed in his fly fishing gear.

He was a part of every eagle that soars over the Ottawa, and every beaver that tries to dam up his precious trout streams. He was a guy who will never be forgotten.

And, oh, I miss him so much already.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:17 AM   #30
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Isle of Staten
Liked 855 Times on 626 Posts

Sorry i missed this, and sorry for your loss. A good friend cant be replaced.