Friends and memories - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Friends and memories

Old 04-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7712 Times on 5418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
According to prognosis, how long does Mike have in hospice care? Is there a seed of an inkling of a chance for a miracle?
None. His miracles are all used up at this point.

They are making him as comfortable as possible. Hopefully, that's relatively painfree.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #12
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ossining, NY
Liked 2133 Times on 1409 Posts

I do hope I didnt come off as insensitive. Best of luck my best wishes to you all. I too hope Mike leaves us as painfree as possible.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 04-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7712 Times on 5418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
I do hope I didnt come off as insensitive. Best of luck my best wishes to you all. I too hope Mike leaves us as painfree as possible.
Of course you didn't sound insensitive! Up until February or so, we were all hoping for one more miracle. But the tumor is growing, not shrinking, and it cannot be removed. He is no longer undergoing chemotherapy or radiation, because it simply doesn't "work" for him. It's a very fast growing cancer, and it's aggressive. But he is in relatively good spirits, and feels better than he did when he was getting chemo and radiation.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #14
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3669 Times on 3153 Posts

This reminds me so much of pop. He was fine one day. The next time we were thinking of droping by with the kids,he was in hospital with a cancerous brain tumor that hemmoraged. Just like a strok,there was nothing my wife & I could do but watch him die. He held on till after midnight Oct 10th,mom's b-dayNot to blow my own horn...just wanted you to know I understand all to well. Pop wasn't just my dad,but my huntin/fishin buddy,bar room buddy,fellow car guy.& co-worker. We just tried to make him comfortable in these final moments. Try to do the same for that special frind of yours. It hurts so much & it's tough,but try anyway. That last measure of devotion ya know...
http://
Thought it might suite the moments...maybe a omage video of the good times of which you spoke. Might help you & his family get through it.
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

Old 04-02-2012, 10:09 PM   #15
Dan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Makakilo, Hawaii
Liked 2176 Times on 1362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
This reminds me so much of pop. He was fine one day. The next time we were thinking of droping by with the kids,he was in hospital with a cancerous brain tumor that hemmoraged. Just like a strok,there was nothing my wife & I could do but watch him die. He held on till after midnight Oct 10th,mom's b-dayNot to blow my own horn...just wanted you to know I understand all to well. Pop wasn't just my dad,but my huntin/fishin buddy,bar room buddy,fellow car guy.& co-worker. We just tried to make him comfortable in these final moments. Try to do the same for that special frind of yours. It hurts so much & it's tough,but try anyway. That last measure of devotion ya know...
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48o5rCFFxh8
Thought it might suite the moments...maybe a omage video of the good times of which you spoke. Might help you & his family get through it.
Super nice unionrdr.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #16
funkapottomous
Recipes 

Feb 2010
Houston, Texas
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

At first it would seems rather unfortunate that someone who has enjoyed life so much would have to punch their card earlier than the rest of us. When you think about it though...maybe it's better that way. To live your life to the fullest until you just can't anymore. Cancer and hospice is not the best way to end things, that's for sure, but it seems like the man will be able to look back fondly on all of the happy times he's had, especially with people like you, Yoop.

I had a very good friend die when I was young. She was about 14, and caught bacterial meningitis. She went from feeling sick to dead in about two weeks. Since then I've tried to make a point of enjoying every moment as much as I can because you never when things are going to be over for you. Not that I'm thinking about dying all the time, that'd be morbid.

But I digress. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend, and I hope his wife is able to reach out and accept the help she'll need.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #17
turkeyjerky214
Recipes 

Nov 2009
Westminster, CO
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

2 weeks ago, one of my best friends' little brother who was around 25 had a stomach ache. Went to the hospital after a couple hours. 2 days and 4 surgeries later, he was in a medically induced coma. He died 2 days later. I had to work, so I missed the actual funeral, but another friend was telling me about it last night.

Almost started crying when he described how our friend had to give the eulogy at his little brother's funeral. The fact that he never really got to say goodbye or prepare for his brother to be gone is just incomprehensible to me.

Deepest sympathies, Yooper. Cherish the opportunity to say goodbye.
Lagering: Vienna Lager

Old 04-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #18
GulfCoastGirl
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Emerald Coast, FL
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Yooper I'm so very sorry for your friend. I lost my father to cancer a few years ago; it's a cruel disease. The good news is that Hospice care is wonderful.... your friend will get to stay in his home where he is comfortable and hopefully they'll set him up to self medicate with Morphine for the pain (they did this with my dad).

I'm so glad you get to say goodbye...

Old 04-05-2012, 01:40 AM   #19
Grumpybumpy
Recipes 

Jul 2011
, Wa
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Very sorry to hear that yoop. Cracked open your ruination clone just now, so here's to you and your friend. All the best

Old 04-05-2012, 02:47 AM   #20
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts

Really sad to lose a friend. Lost one four years ago to pancreatic cancer, the aggressive kind. Seven weeks from diagnosis to dead. It had been almost a decade since I had any face time with him, but we kept in touch. Didn't know he was sick until afterwards. His wife was just dealing with his problems and didn't have time to contact people.

I'll raise one for lost friends when Kellie gets home from her class.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk