Originally Posted by doublehaul
sweet. it was a cluster. I had 180F water in a cooler, and I didn't preheat it. i went to sparge and it was 170F, so I added 2 big pots boiling water, and it didn't bring it up, so I heated 2 2 gal batches to 180F, and ended up at 160F. I am still not getting temp and volume control
I will admit that I don't fully understand the effects of sparge temp, but yesterday I sparged with near boiling water (app. 200 deg). That coupled with stirring my mash halfway through fly sparging raised my efficiency almost 10%. Not sure if it was a combination of the two, or if one was more responsible, but they are such easy changes to make that I will continue to do both.