Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > No Sign of Fermentation: two days post pitch

Old 04-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
brewmax25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default No Sign of Fermentation: two days post pitch

I have been brewing for a couple of years now and have brewed many batches.

I always use Wyeast smack packs and most of the time I make starters, but for a long time, I never made them.

I just brewed a Kolsch on Friday and I didn't make a starter for this beer. It was a low gravity beer (1044) and I didn't have any DME to make a starter. I figured, I didn't make starters for many of my beers before this, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Now, two days later, I see no sign of fermentation at all. Nothing. I have never seen this before. I ferment in craboys so I can see what is happening and I see NOTHING.

I pitched at 64degrees and used Wyeast's Kolsch strain (2565). I smacked the pack hours before the pitch.

Did I get dead yeast? What should I do?

On Deck : Finishing the Brew Stand!

Old 04-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 71

You should wait, read the forum linked below, and RDWHAHB

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ferm...e-signs-43635/

Your lag time could be any number of things. Ride it out. In a day or two take a gravity reading. If it's dropped then you're good.

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 04-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
BigRob
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Can take 48-72hrs to show signs, have you taken gravity readings?

I've had a few beers that were completely still, looked like nothing was going on for over 2 days, then within a matter of an hour were making full use of the blowoff tube. Not all the time, or even frequently, but I've had it happen.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
D0ug
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I'm guessing the pack did not swell at all, if you are asking if the yeast was dead?

I know you've been brewing for a while, but there is a sticky on the forums that says fermentation can take up to 72 hours to start.

I would give it another day and check the gravity to see if it has changed at all before doing anything else.

I had a brown ale in a carboy that fermented over night. There were no signs of krausen, bubbles, swirling gook in the carboy. I was convinced I needed to repitch, but the guys at the LHBS talked me into taking some readings before doing anything. It had dropped 35 points in a day and a half with out giving any 'signs'.

Granted, this has not been typical, but it can happen.