Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Replacing pale with pilsner

Old 04-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
Proudfoot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Replacing pale with pilsner

Hello,

I'm brewing IPA, using only organic ingredients and cannot find organic pale malt but got organic pilsner. So I was thinking should I consider adding something to balance my brew, since i have not used pilsner malt that much before. I am not sure if the difference is noticiable (using probably ~80% pils). I was thinking of using a bit more carahell (~10-15L) or crystal for maltiness...?

Old 04-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 340 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 30

A small percentage of munich can help to bring the malt character more in line with a pale malt. The other important consideration is that Pils malt has more of the DMS precursors left in the malt and that requires a longer boil to reduce the level. 60 min is OK for pale malt, but 90 min is preferred for Pils.

Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brun-...?ref=bookmarks

Old 04-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1253 Times on 862 Posts
Likes Given: 2407

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrungard
A small percentage of munich can help to bring the malt character more in line with a pale malt. The other important consideration is that Pils malt has more of the DMS precursors left in the malt and that requires a longer boil to reduce the level. 60 min is OK for pale malt, but 90 min is preferred for Pils.
Plus 1 on the comments above regarding mixing in organic Munich and longer boil times.

I brew with organic malts and hops, too. Gambrinus makes an organic pale malt that I like a lot, use it as a base malt on most of my beers. Breiss also makes an organic two-row.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #4
Proudfoot
Recipes 

Thanks! Here in Finland there is virtually nothing in organic but I found organic munich from Sweden so I think I will try adding 2-4% munich as suggested. Thanks for the tip about longer boil time also! I probably do multirest mash also, not the usual single infusion..