Bottling bucket leaked - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bottling bucket leaked

Old 04-01-2012, 07:31 AM   #1
Huey1N
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Brooklyn, New York

So I bought a brand new bottling bucket and was using it for fermentation. I left it alone in my basement for two weeks, didn't touch it once, only checked to see how it was bubbling. On the day I was going to bottle it, I walked downstairs to find the bucket leaking from around the spigot. Not even slowly leaking, gushing, so that all five gallons of beer ended up all over the floor. Needless to say I was devastated. Has this ever happened to anyone else??? It was a brand spanking new bucket and didn't show any signs of leaking prior to that. The beer was a brown porter, if that means anything.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #2
amandabab
Recipes 

Mar 2012
spokane, wa
Liked 241 Times on 183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey1N View Post
It was a brand spanking new bucket
that's the problem.

brand spanking new buckets have the spigot stabbed into them and tightened at the rate of 1000 a day by Homer Simpson.

Huey1N Likes This 
Old 04-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
scrambledegg81
Flocculation Nation
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Los Osos, CA
Liked 40 Times on 36 Posts

This.^

When I used to bottle (full-time kegerator now), I made it a rule to water test the bottling bucket EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I bottled. Tighten the spigot by hand, take a channel lock if necessary, but always water test it. You never know when that bastard of a rubber washer will decide to go south on you.
Bombers/Growlers/Aging: The Abyss, Firestone 19th Anniversary Ale
Kegerator: sanitizer!
Coming Up: something spiffy, most likely

Huey1N Likes This 
Old 04-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
Huey1N
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Brooklyn, New York

How long would you water test it for?

Old 04-01-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author & shootist of air
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3691 Times on 3171 Posts

Too loose or too tight & they leak. Over-tightening causes the seal to squeeze out from under the seal flange on the back of the spigot. Loosen it up,then tighten it down just untill snug. Kinda firm but NOT TIGHT. It will then seal. I do this,as all my fermenters & bottling bucket have spigots. No leaks,even under pressure from stuck blow offs.
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

Old 04-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
rico567

Recipes 

Apr 2008
Central IL
Liked 87 Times on 81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
too loose or too tight & they leak. Over-tightening causes the seal to squeeze out from under the seal flange on the back of the spigot. Loosen it up,then tighten it down just untill snug. Kinda firm but not tight. It will then seal. I do this,as all my fermenters & bottling bucket have spigots. No leaks,even under pressure from stuck blow offs.
this.

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:18 PM   #7
IffyG

Recipes 

Oct 2009
Nashville
Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey1N View Post
How long would you water test it for?
For bottling, half an hour would suffice. I wouldn't recommend using a bottling bucket for fermenting for several reasons, one of which being the chance of it leaking...

homebrewdad Likes This 
Old 04-01-2012, 11:28 PM   #8
homebrewdad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Birmingham, AL
Liked 384 Times on 279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IffyG View Post
For bottling, half an hour would suffice. I wouldn't recommend using a bottling bucket for fermenting for several reasons, one of which being the chance of it leaking...
This. Use a fermenting bucket for fermenting, and a bottling bucket for bottling.