Wyeast 2352 Munich Lager II - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast 2352 Munich Lager II

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2012, 08:18 PM   #1


Part of the spring's lineup of PC yeast strains. I'm looking forward to getting this into something like a Maibock or even a Helles.

Anyone got any experience with this strain or know its brewery of origin?

Wyeast 2352-PC Munich Lager II Yeast

Beer Styles: Lager, Oktoberfest/Marzen, Munich Dunkel, Schwarzbier, Traditional Bock, Maibock/Hellesbock, Dopplebock, Eisbock

Profile: From a famous brewery in Munich, this strain is a low diacetyl and low sulfur aroma producer. An excellent choice for malt driven lagers.

Alc. Tolerance 10% ABV
Flocculation Medium
Attenuation 72-74%
Temp. Range 52-62F (11-16C)
__________________
2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2015 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:08 AM   #2
beachy
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
basket range, australia
Posts: 35
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr View Post
Part of the spring's lineup of PC yeast strains. I'm looking forward to getting this into something like a Maibock or even a Helles.

Anyone got any experience with this strain or know its brewery of origin?

Wyeast 2352-PC Munich Lager II Yeast

Beer Styles: Lager, Oktoberfest/Marzen, Munich Dunkel, Schwarzbier, Traditional Bock, Maibock/Hellesbock, Dopplebock, Eisbock

Profile: From a famous brewery in Munich, this strain is a low diacetyl and low sulfur aroma producer. An excellent choice for malt driven lagers.

Alc. Tolerance 10% ABV
Flocculation Medium
Attenuation 72-74%
Temp. Range 52-62F (11-16C)
I do not know anything about it but would also like to know it's origin.

The 11-16C ferment range is interesting.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:23 AM   #3
SwampassJ
 
SwampassJ's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Coral Springs, FL
Posts: 2,163
Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by beachy View Post
I do not know anything about it but would also like to know it's origin.

The 11-16C ferment range is interesting.
I was thinking the same thing. Might make a good steam beer or a Kolsch at 62 degrees.
__________________
BLAH BLAH BLAH

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:27 AM   #4

I don't buy the low end of that temp range personally. I will use a stepped up starter to get to a big cell count then let 'er go at 48 and I bet it will be fine. Only thing will be to keep an eye on the gravity when it gets into the high 1.020s to time the temp increase correctly.
__________________
2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2015 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #5

Gonna try this one in a kit I am making for my inlaws (Brewhouse Light Canadian Lager). For the hell of it I am gonna do three of those kits: one with 34/70, one with S-189, and one with 2352 just to see how they differ.
__________________
2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2015 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:28 AM   #6
periwinkle1239
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 357
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr View Post
Gonna try this one in a kit I am making for my inlaws (Brewhouse Light Canadian Lager). For the hell of it I am gonna do three of those kits: one with 34/70, one with S-189, and one with 2352 just to see how they differ.
Sweet! I was thinking of trying the 2352 out with the AG Bavarian Helles kit that NB is selling now. Lagers are a lot of work but definitely worth the reward.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by periwinkle1239 View Post
Sweet! I was thinking of trying the 2352 out with the AG Bavarian Helles kit that NB is selling now. Lagers are a lot of work but definitely worth the reward.
From the description seems like the perfect yeast choice for that beer.
__________________
2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2015 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #8

They aren't carbed yet, but in a side-by-side comparison with 34/70, the former is clearly maltier and the latter drier. Didn't end up using the S-189. I also found this yeast does not really like the lower temperatures 34/70 handles easily. I would't go under 50 with this one again.
__________________
2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2015 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:56 AM   #9
bumstigedy
Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
bumstigedy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Houston, Texas
Posts: 291
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Picked up this yeast yesterday and going to brew an Octoberfest with it next weekend. So what temperature did you end up fermenting at? Was planning on typical modified Narziss fermentation, starting at 44F and letting rise to 50F over the first day and then fermenting at 50F until about 3/4 done and raising to 68F for a diacetyl rest.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumstigedy View Post
Picked up this yeast yesterday and going to brew an Octoberfest with it next weekend. So what temperature did you end up fermenting at? Was planning on typical modified Narziss fermentation, starting at 44F and letting rise to 50F over the first day and then fermenting at 50F until about 3/4 done and raising to 68F for a diacetyl rest.
The only way I would be brave enough to do that is if I were pitching huge...like HUGE: 1.5 million cells per ml per degree Plato. And after using this yeast I probably even wouldn't do it then. I am making an Oktoberfest myself this weekend, target OG 1.057, and plan to use 2352 slurry (third generation). I will ferment it at 52.

There is just no point at all to taking a chance of getting stuck. The minimum temperature stated by Wyeast for this yeast is 52...so, based on my own experience, I can really see no reason to go lower than that. There really is nothing to be gained.

If you want to start fooling around in the mid to low 40's, pick a yeast that likes it there--like W-34/70 (Wyeast 2142) which I've gone cold with myself a number of times. Make yourself a nice pilsner or something. But with 2352 I really suggest 52 (ambient maybe more like 50). Your d-rest plan is smart--lagers don't always need them but again...it's a crapload of trouble if you don't do one and end up with diacetyl in your finished beer.

Good luck!
__________________
2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2015 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wyeast munich lager questions Mk010101 Fermentation & Yeast 2 01-05-2012 04:32 AM
Wyeast 2308 munich lager question Kate00 Fermentation & Yeast 4 12-12-2011 05:23 AM
Harvesting Paulaner Munich Lager Yeast? Hops Fermentation & Yeast 0 04-13-2011 06:08 PM
Which Yeast for a Munich Helles: Wyeast 2124, 2206, or 2308? gregdech Fermentation & Yeast 2 10-26-2010 01:41 AM
wyeast 2308 munich lager wyo220 Fermentation & Yeast 2 10-20-2010 07:03 PM


Forum Jump