Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Is a Blichmann burner worth the bucks?

Old 03-31-2012, 06:59 AM   #11
hillhousesawdustco
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I'm a big fan of how (relatively) quiet my blichmann is compared to the old turkey fryer burner I had. That said, I can't compare its fuel performance to any of the other zillion-tip banjo style burners out there. I only use it to boil as my HLT is electric, but it certainly gets that job done just fine.

EDIT: ALSO, from looking at the "similar threads" at the bottom of this screen, this question may have been asked and chimed in on at least a few times, so check those out too

Old 01-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #12
micsager
Recipes 

I have no clue on the propane savings, but I love all three of my Blichmann burners. I currently brew in sankey keggles. I just bought a new 30 gallon blichmann, and will be getting a used one, plus a used 55 gallon boilermaker soon. 1bbl at a time will be nice.

Daytripper: What size pot are you putting on that modified stand? I emailed John blichmann about your setup, and he certainly does not reccomend for the 55 gallon pots. (or any for that matter) I assume he says that due to liability concerns.

Annyway, I plan to do as you have done for my 55gl boil pot. Do you think it's tough enough for 35+ gallons of boiling wort?

Old 01-03-2013, 12:50 AM   #13
Aspenextreme
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I got one for Christmas and even though it is expensive it is totally worth the money. Much faster boiling times and eventually the cost savings from propane will even itself out. I also love the extensions. Just buy it.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:02 AM   #14
LuiInIdaho
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 25

My first burner purchase was a Blichmann because I was interested in upgrading to the TopTier Brewing System in some distant future. My second burner purchase was a Camp Chef because I wanted something quickly, and I could by this locally. I never liked the Camp Chef as well as the Blichmann simply because it was too loud. And I would never have understood that without the Blichmann for comparison.

I recently built a brew stand (I did not go with the Top Tier after all) and I want two burners on it. So, I purchased a second Blichmann for the brew stand. I have not yet tried out both Blichmanns, but I am sure that I will just as pleased with the second as the first.

As someone said earlier, those who don't like them, won't. But those who do like them, LOVE THEM!

That is my two cents worth. Mark

Old 01-03-2013, 01:56 AM   #15
swackattack
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have 2 on my top tier. Shaved some off brew day vs old burners. I like em!

Old 01-03-2013, 02:23 AM   #16
govner1
Raconteur
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 317 Times on 266 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Simply put, absolutely!

Old 01-03-2013, 04:56 AM   #17
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1897 Times on 1482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by micsager View Post
[...]Daytripper: What size pot are you putting on that modified stand? I emailed John blichmann about your setup, and he certainly does not reccomend for the 55 gallon pots. (or any for that matter) I assume he says that due to liability concerns.
I used that with my 10 gallon Boilermakers.

Compared to the stock extension setup, my mod is more stable with the much wider stance. And I used heavier hardware than what John supplies to bolt everything together, so I'm pretty confident about not having degraded anything in the offing.

Quote:
Annyway, I plan to do as you have done for my 55gl boil pot. Do you think it's tough enough for 35+ gallons of boiling wort?
Well, Blichmann doesn't recommend using their 55 gallon kettles on their floor burner even with just the standard shorty legs (the burner manual tops out with the 30 gallon kettle).

Including the pot, a 35 gallon boil is going to weigh around 300 pounds, which far exceeds the 175 pound limit that Blichmann puts on the stock burner with the shorty legs.

So I'd say it isn't a good idea. Sorry...

Cheers!

Old 01-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #18
Barnesie
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 10

One more note - besides performance, they're stainless which will last forever unless really abused and they hold most of their resale value if you ever get bored of the sport.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #19
OlieNH
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I love mine. I have two and they are so quiet and very effective at quickly heating up a 26 gallon MoreBeer kettle. WAY quieter than my banjo burner. I don't know if it is any more efficient (i.e. less propane) than the other burners. Build quality, stainless and quietness make me a very happy customer.

On Deck: 15 gallons of Robust Porter
On Deck: Rye IPA
Primary: Belgian Golden Strong with Chimay Strain
Primary 2: Belgian Golden Strong with Abbey Ale Strain
Primary 3: empty
Primary 4: empty
Secondary: empty
Keg 1: Ed Wort's Apfelwein
Keg 2: More Apfelwien
Keg 2: Battle Axe Double IPA
Keg 3: Exctract Pale Ale
Keg 4:
Keg 5:
Keg 6:
Bourbon Barrel: Breakfast Stout

Old 01-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #20
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 266

IMO/IME, it's 100% worth it. Without any modifications it performs extremely well. Far better than other burners I've either seen used, or used myself. I have two right now and have no regrets. Well, other than not getting them sooner.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine