Old 03-30-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Florida, NY
Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts

Is there any pros / cons ti mixing Brett C and Brett B in the same saison ? I will be co pitching both with wy3711 or I'm contemplating only pitching the combined Brett strains and going 100% wild with only Brett. FYI its a low hop saison. Thoughts ?
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 03-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
Pogopunx82
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Burnsville, Nc
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I see nothing wrong with it. I have a tendency to mix different strains and the turn out is good. Just recently I started making single brett strain beers to know the strains profile. Lately most of my funk beers have been all brett.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Florida, NY

Good to know as I wanted the moderate funkiness of brett B but the nose and aroma of the Brett C I just didn't know if the two would clash too much

Old 03-31-2012, 12:44 AM   #4
dcHokie

Recipes 

Mar 2010
Washington, DC
Liked 257 Times on 195 Posts

I'm all for the mix of Brett B & C in a saison. 3711, though, is super attenuative and usually doesn't leave much sugar for anything else. I've liked copitching brett w/ the dupont strain as it needs high temps and seems to crap out below 75F anyhow, it gives the brett a nice snack

Old 03-31-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Florida, NY

What if I pitched the Brett first gave it a week or two then pitched the 3711 ?

Old 03-31-2012, 03:51 PM   #6
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Keller, Texas
Liked 254 Times on 196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschecte View Post
What if I pitched the Brett first gave it a week or two then pitched the 3711 ?
If you're pitching out of the vial or smackpack nothing is going to happen that first week. Brett is slow moving. If you plan on making a starter and doing more of an all-brett beer give yourself several weeks for the starter to increase cell count before brewing. In that case you're probably not getting a ton of brett or saison flavor. All brett beers are fairly clean and will ferment most of the sugar, leaving very little for 3711.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Florida, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
If you're pitching out of the vial or smackpack nothing is going to happen that first week. Brett is slow moving. If you plan on making a starter and doing more of an all-brett beer give yourself several weeks for the starter to increase cell count before brewing. In that case you're probably not getting a ton of brett or saison flavor. All brett beers are fairly clean and will ferment most of the sugar, leaving very little for 3711.
Ok let me pose my question this way then.... what is the best method for making a saison that has a fair-moderate amount of brett funk ?

Old 03-31-2012, 05:00 PM   #8
BrewNow
Recipes 

Sep 2010
Philadelphia Suburbs

Perhaps a slightly higer mash temp ~ 152F. Pitch Dupont strain and in about 2 weeks when the Dupont stops to take a rest at around 1.025, rack into a secondary and pitch the 2 vials of Brett B+C. Maybe add .25 or less of American oak cubes?? That's what I would do. .

Old 03-31-2012, 05:11 PM   #9
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Florida, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewNow
Perhaps a slightly higer mash temp ~ 152F. Pitch Dupont strain and in about 2 weeks when the Dupont stops to take a rest at around 1.025, rack into a secondary and pitch the 2 vials of Brett B+C. Maybe add .25 or less of American oak cubes?? That's what I would do. .
I'm sorry I should have posted that part I was going to mash high in the 154 range to create alot of dextrins that the 3711 would not eat. Therefore it would leave something for the Brett to eat.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:57 PM   #10
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Boise, ID
Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschecte View Post
I'm sorry I should have posted that part I was going to mash high in the 154 range to create alot of dextrins that the 3711 would not eat. Therefore it would leave something for the Brett to eat.
FYI, 3711 will take a beer mashed at 154 down to 1.004. That yeast pretty much honeybadgers dextrins.

BryanThompson Likes This