S-04 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > S-04

Old 03-30-2012, 02:26 AM   #1
GrapeKoolaid
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Albuquerque, NM

So i just brewed my First Chocolate Oatmeal Stout and pitched 1pkg of S-04 yeast. The brew started bubbling up at 12hrs and continued for 36hrs. Is this normal for a Stout The temperature has been stable around 72F and did not see much of a head. The OG was 1.070. I was going to wait about a little over a week to take another gravity reading, but was not sure if this is how this type of yeast works. Any help.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:32 AM   #2
Kayos

Recipes 

Dec 2006
Santa Clarita, SoCal
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Sounds pretty typical for ALL yeasts. What has been your experience? There won't be much "head" for S04 either. It really only takes a few days to ferment....the rest is all about aging. I say wait 3 weeks then straight to bottle. No need to waste beer with gravity readings every few days.
Primary #2: ESB
Big Blind: Pucker Bitter
Small Blind:
Tasty Remembrances: White 'N Nerdy, Dynamite Red (Hop bursted), APA, The Bonaduce (irish Red), runners stout, ridgeback brown,

from my big ass computer sitting on my floor

Old 03-30-2012, 02:36 AM   #3
KraphtBier
Recipes 

Apr 2011
New Bern, NC
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think at that gravity you probably under pitched a bit. 72F is pretty warm for that strain. You'll most likely get some esters from S-04 anywhere above 68F. It does ferment quickly, I use that strain pretty often and its not unusual for me to have krausen fall 48-72 hours after fermentation really gets rolling. Give it a week and take a gravity sample and then taste it after the reading. If it needs some cleanup time, let it bulk condition for a while.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:44 AM   #4
GrapeKoolaid
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Albuquerque, NM

I leave the specific gravity reader in the fermenter to I can open the lid and take readings at will. I will try cooling it a little to see I that helps. This is the first time I am using this yeast so I am in the dark.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:47 AM   #5
GrapeKoolaid
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Albuquerque, NM

Oh, I always ferment in primary for two weeks and then transfer to a secondary. I remix and then let sit and condition for another two weeks. Then bottle and let sit for at least 4 weeks. Plenty of time to condition and perfect tastes.