Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Low Carb.. Thoughts?

Old 03-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Low Carb.. Thoughts?

This is the brew I did and should have bottled the day before I went in for my knee replacement surgery on 2/15. I didn't and put it off.. not bottling until 3/14. I also forgot to whirlfloc this batch and it had a lot of particulate suspended in it.. even after one extra month. So, I did the Knox gelatin "trick" which worked just fine.

This brew is an IPA. It tastes great, considering it is somewhat flat. I did add the 4 oz of dissolved corn sugar to the bottling bucket/stirred well, and bottled. It has been sitting in my bath.. er, brew room since 3/14 at an average temp of about 65*.

I had to pop one yesterday after chilling. What a disappointment. First time this has happened to me. After all the comments I've read previously.. the added month should not be a problem.

Brewed: 1/25/12; Bottled: 3/14/12; Tasted: 3/28/12 Probably won't try another for another 10 or so days.

Thoughts

Old 03-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
DonutMuncher
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would just wait and do what you're planning to do, which is not try another one for 7-10 days. You should hopefully see more improvement between now and then.

By holding the bottle temps at 65F, the carbonating process might take slightly longer than it would at, say, 70-75F.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
DaDzBrewery
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HbgBill View Post
This is the brew I did and should have bottled the day before I went in for my knee replacement surgery on 2/15. I didn't and put it off.. not bottling until 3/14. I also forgot to whirlfloc this batch and it had a lot of particulate suspended in it.. even after one extra month. So, I did the Knox gelatin "trick" which worked just fine.

This brew is an IPA. It tastes great, considering it is somewhat flat. I did add the 4 oz of dissolved corn sugar to the bottling bucket/stirred well, and bottled. It has been sitting in my bath.. er, brew room since 3/14 at an average temp of about 65*.

I had to pop one yesterday after chilling. What a disappointment. First time this has happened to me. After all the comments I've read previously.. the added month should not be a problem.

Brewed: 1/25/12; Bottled: 3/14/12; Tasted: 3/28/12 Probably won't try another for another 10 or so days.

Thoughts
Being that you used gellatin, it might take a little longer to carb correctly.. but eventually it will.. by using gellatin, you are dropping most of everything out of suspension... Rule of thumb.. a cloudy, proper carbed beer, is better than a clear low carbed beer, but give it some time.. I usually let them sit for 2 weeks, then try one every week from then.. when ready, don the hatch they go.. I keg mostly, which is prefered when using gelatin.. cause you control the carbonation.. I used gelatin once.. Def. cleared my beer. but, I have came to one with myself, and the looks of my beer is not as important as taste to me anymore, unless it's going to be a competition brew.. I also use whirlfloc tablets (irsh moss).. hope this helps

About to : Falconer's Flight IPA
Primary : APA(Cascade), HBC342 hops IPA
Secondary:
Secondary:
Bottled : Hefeweizen, APA, Imperial Oatmeal Stout,
Kegged : APA(cascade+amarillo) , Smoked Robust Porter , Scottish Ale Export 80 Shilling

Old 04-04-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
PitchnGrin
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've only posted a hand full of times but I've been trouble shooting a soapy taste. My first brew was a falconers flight smash. It was intensely soapy but drinkable. My next three batches were fine. My fourth batch was a pale ale that I threw in an ounce of 7c's at flameout. I just tasted a sample and guess what... a slight soapy bite. Its the hops!