Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > deadspace

Old 03-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
beerhound28
Recipes 

Nov 2011
LB, north east

Hello
I think i just calculated my MT dead space...I took the advice of someone on this forum and filled my MT then drained it...i was left with 1/2 gallon of water..thats my dead space right? If so i am gonna enter that into my beersmith equipment profile..

Old 03-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
Snafu

Recipes 

Apr 2009
Richmond, VA
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

yeppers

Old 03-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
beerhound28
Recipes 

Nov 2011
LB, north east

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu View Post
yeppers
So thats all there is to dead space? the ammount of liquid that stays in MT after draining? and to think i needed to get a PH D to use beersmith haha...thanks

Old 03-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
Snafu

Recipes 

Apr 2009
Richmond, VA
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

I'm not real sure about Beersmith, I use Promash, but it factors all the vessels dead space in, MLT HLT BK CFC's hoses etc. I'm sure beersmith is similar

Old 03-30-2012, 06:54 AM   #5
wSelwyn

Recipes 

Mar 2012
Ferndale, Michigan
Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts

Yup. You got it. The only place I have found in BeerSmith for dead space is for the MT. If there is a place to calculate HLT, BK, etc. I have yet to find it.

However, in the water tab, be sure to calculate your post-boil loss to evap, deadspace, trub, hoses, etc. This greatly effects your pre-boil volume as well as what you plan on putting in the fermenter.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
Jukas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
Liked 104 Times on 79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wSelwyn
Yup. You got it. The only place I have found in BeerSmith for dead space is for the MT. If there is a place to calculate HLT, BK, etc. I have yet to find it.

However, in the water tab, be sure to calculate your post-boil loss to evap, deadspace, trub, hoses, etc. This greatly effects your pre-boil volume as well as what you plan on putting in the fermenter.
For the BK I entered mine in the section of the equipment profile labeled "loss to trub and chiller" as advised by the beer smith video.