Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > BCS-460 programming

Old 03-28-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
kevin509
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Default BCS-460 programming

Any good sources for process program examples for the BCS-460/462? New to this. Also is anyone using its DINS inputs for anything?

Old 03-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
PLOVE
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I'd encourage you to visit ECCs website:
http://www.embeddedcc.com/

It may not answer all of your questions, but they do have a BCS wiki and an online forum to ask and get answers to questions. I just received my 360 in the mail yesterday, so I know I'll be spending some time on the site trying to get things fired up and customized.

Good luck!
PLOVE

Old 03-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #3
ChuckO
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 14

+ 1 above,

I've had some good success with setting up multiple processes. I use one process for heating the strike water and holding it in the mash tun at strike temperature, one process for the mash including mash out and sparge, and one process for boil. Each process starts the following as it shuts down.

My boil process runs a 5500 watt heater at full power until I see it start to boil, it then drops to 80% until hot break. At that point I continue to a step that gives up control of the heat to a 4th program for power control. This program is controlled via two momentary contact switches to 2 DINS inputs, one to increase heat by 5%, the other to lower it by 5%. The DINS are much faster than moving the mouse over a web input and clicking the mouse.

PM me if you would like further details, as the programs are very specific to my hardware.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts

I like your +5/-5 idea Chuck, I think I'll add something like that using web inputs.
One thing I'm wondering, why use separate processes for all those things? I use a single process and step through it - but the reason I did that is because I also use the BCS to control my ferment and keezer temps so I didn't want to waste multiple processes for brewing when one would suffice.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:39 AM   #5
Carter05
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used this mash program for my bcs 460. I have only used it in one brew and it does need a few tweaks. I like it as a starting point and it also shows you the manual actions you need to do such as hose moves.
http://www.embeddedcontrolconcepts.c...e8371632e0995c

Old 03-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #6
kevin509
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the look at your process, beginning to get the idea. Still thinking how to use actual switches to control some steps instead of reaching for the mouse. Pump on/off is one thought but I think that would have to be part of the programming process in every process as opposed to an actual override.

Too bad there isn't a global setting to except a DINS input from a switch to activate/deactivate a pump, jump states or kill a processes (e stop feature).

Too bad the BrewTroller can't marry the BCS-460 that would be a great joining of features.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #7
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin509 View Post
Too bad there isn't a global setting to except a DINS input from a switch to activate/deactivate a pump, jump states or kill a processes (e stop feature).
Couple thoughts.
I think you can do just what you're thinking by using the ladder logic. I've recently started using the ladder logic for a couple things and it can be quite powerful.

Also, why have a DIN to control the pump when you can just use a selector switch? I use a three way selector for the pump. On one side I feed the +5V VDD from the BCS, the middle is pump OFF, the other side is the pump output from the BCS. Achieves the same thing, gives you manual control over the pump. I have similar control over heating elements and my HLT stir motor.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:14 AM   #8
kevin509
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Default Bcs-460

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin_ale View Post
Couple thoughts.
I think you can do just what you're thinking by using the ladder logic. I've recently started using the ladder logic for a couple things and it can be quite powerful.

Also, why have a DIN to control the pump when you can just use a selector switch? I use a three way selector for the pump. On one side I feed the +5V VDD from the BCS, the middle is pump OFF, the other side is the pump output from the BCS. Achieves the same thing, gives you manual control over the pump. I have similar control over heating elements and my HLT stir motor.
Thanks I'll think about it some. Kinda trying to see what I can integrate into the controller. Seems like I have been planning all these things and it ends up being just a bunch of switches/LEDs/relays not even related to the BCS-460. I guess stepping out of the "box" and looking back in I see when all is said and done I could pull the BCS out replace it with a couple PIDs and brew day it's much different. The BCS-460 is slick with data logging and web UI but I might need more.