Do you need to mash named malts? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Do you need to mash named malts?
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 03-28-2012, 02:03 AM   #1
Lewyh
Recipes 

Mar 2012
Hamilton, Waikato

I'm about to do my first AGB and have been wondering about a few things in the process:

If you buy a grain such as crystal grain, where the sugars have already been crystalized, surely it must have already gone through a mash - in which case, do i just need to sparge it?

Also, as any named grain (such as munich malt, vienna, etc...) has already been kilned, surely they have already had their enzymes deactivated / killed? therefore, I'm assuming that they have also already been mashed. Do I need to mash these or just sparge them?

This leaves me wondering if I need to mash the light and dark wheat grain I've bought or do i just need to sparge those to get the sugars out too?

Please advise. I don't want to mash if it's already been done because I don't want to break down all the nice complex sugars in my crystal malt.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-28-2012, 02:23 AM   #2
Lewyh
Recipes 

Mar 2012
Hamilton, Waikato

I think I got my answer with research

so: specialty malts (munic, vienna, crystal, etc) don't need mashing, wheat malt DOES... but does dark wheat malt? is it dark because of the type of plant it comes from or because it's been roasted? If it has been roasted, does that mean it can only be mashed with another grain that has enzymes?!

Old 03-28-2012, 02:31 AM   #3
Mac951
Recipes 

Sep 2011
Albuquerque, NM
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewyh View Post
I think I got my answer with research

so: specialty malts (munic, vienna, crystal, etc) don't need mashing, wheat malt DOES... but does dark wheat malt? is it dark because of the type of plant it comes from or because it's been roasted? If it has been roasted, does that mean it can only be mashed with another grain that has enzymes?!
More Research:
Munich/Vienna can be either, it has enough enzymes to convert itself.
Some of the specialty malts can be steeped, and won't benefit from a full
mash... Check out some of the common books.

-Mac

Old 03-28-2012, 02:32 AM   #4
thisoneguy
Recipes 

Sep 2011
Macomb, MI
Liked 26 Times on 18 Posts

Here's a good link: http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-1.html.

If you're going totally AG, just mash everything. It makes life easier!

Old 03-28-2012, 02:35 AM   #5
H-ost
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Bellevue, WA
Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts

WHOW!! to be in your head...! So many questions.

Reading this made me giggle and I have no idea where to start with your questions, sorry, but I will bump this thread and maybe someone can help fix you.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:52 AM   #6
janivar123
Recipes 

Apr 2011
porsgrunn norway, lol
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Crystal, caramel, chocolate, roasted and black can be steeped or sparged
Munic, vienna, rauchmalt, bisket and honey needs to be mashed

As for mash breaking down the sugar of crystal/caramel malt, I guess it is possible but i newer heard of it

Old 03-28-2012, 04:42 AM   #7
Grumpybumpy
Recipes 

Jul 2011
, Wa
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisoneguy
here's a good link: http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-1.html.

If you're going totally ag, just mash everything. It makes life easier!
+1000

Old 03-28-2012, 04:56 AM   #8
KuntzBrewing
Recipes 

Aug 2011
Kokomo, Indiana
Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisoneguy
Here's a good link: http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-1.html.

If you're going totally AG, just mash everything. It makes life easier!
Ya, just throw all that grain in the mash, no matter what it is

Old 03-29-2012, 02:01 AM   #9
Lewyh
Recipes 

Mar 2012
Hamilton, Waikato

thanks all, and thanks for the reading resources

"Munic, vienna, rauchmalt, bisket and honey needs to be mashed" is interesting, so these must have been roasted and not mashed, whilst things like crystal have been mashed already to turn it to crystal?

I wonder if you can taste the sugars if you eat the grains to see if they've been mashed already? do standard grains taste sweeter after mashing, does anyone know?

Old 03-29-2012, 02:07 AM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7361 Times on 5205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewyh View Post
thanks all, and thanks for the reading resources

"Munic, vienna, rauchmalt, bisket and honey needs to be mashed" is interesting, so these must have been roasted and not mashed, whilst things like crystal have been mashed already to turn it to crystal?

I wonder if you can taste the sugars if you eat the grains to see if they've been mashed already? do standard grains taste sweeter after mashing, does anyone know?
No. Grains taste pretty bland after mashing, as the idea is to get the flavor, color, and sugars from them INTO the wort.

When you make a batch of beer, all the grains go into the mash together. There is never a need to separately mash/steep/sparge grains. Put them in together. Most malts need to be mashed anyway, with roasted and crystal malts being the notable exceptions. But mashing them gets a few fermentable sugars out of them, and saves a separate steeping step.