White labs wlp565 saison I - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > White labs wlp565 saison I

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2012, 03:29 AM   #1
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Aschecte's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Florida, NY
Posts: 1,692
Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts



Quick question on temperature effect on wlp565 saison I, I see on white labs site it is saying optimal temp is 68-75. That being said I have read multiple posts on multiple forums and it seems that everyone ferment with this yeast at high 70 through the 90's with great results. I know saison yeast ca. Handle the heat but I was wondering what lower temps would produce for flavor and the same with fermenting at high temps. I also have read this strain is notorious for getting stuck and that low temps ( mid to high 60's) prolong the fermentation process that's why I am thi king of hooking up my brew belt but not at the cost of flavor and the finished product. Thanks for the input in advance.
__________________
Funky Onion Brewing est.2010
Primary-Turbid mashed Lambic
Primary-Flanders Red
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:35 AM   #2
crackhead7
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
cleveland, ohio
Posts: 236
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Start it at a low temp and let it ride for the first two or three days. The temp will rise as it ferments then on day two or three start bumping the temp up two to three degrees a day till it above 80. Detrimental flavors occur early in the growth phase of yeast oncethat passes the is little worry specially with a Belgian yeast.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:18 AM   #3
wolfman_48442
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Fraser, MI
Posts: 531
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts


I used Wyeast's 3724 which I think is more or less the same yeast. Pitched at 68, raised 3 deg a day up to 92. It was too smooth in my opinion, I'd like more esters.
My next attempt will start at probably 75 or so and go up from there. Maybe starting right at 80 would be good. I'm too chicken to try that just yet.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:30 AM   #4
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Aschecte's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Florida, NY
Posts: 1,692
Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts


You see this is what I'm talking about. White labs says optimal temp is 68-75 but, everyone seems to ferment much much higher than this optimal range. This is why I'm so confused as to where I should be and what flavors it will produce.
__________________
Funky Onion Brewing est.2010
Primary-Turbid mashed Lambic
Primary-Flanders Red
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:35 AM   #5
phenry
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Clemson, SC
Posts: 1,222
Liked 121 Times on 73 Posts


I'm fermenting with it right now, on day 5. 80% apparent attenuation so far, which really surprised me. I started at 80*F and wrapped the bucket with a blanket and shoved a heating pad in there, fermentation temp when I took my gravity reading was 86*F. It tasted great, so I think I'll try to ride it out at this temp and hope it finishes dry enough.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:47 AM   #6
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Aschecte's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Florida, NY
Posts: 1,692
Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by phenry
I'm fermenting with it right now, on day 5. 80% apparent attenuation so far, which really surprised me. I started at 80*F and wrapped the bucket with a blanket and shoved a heating pad in there, fermentation temp when I took my gravity reading was 86*F. It tasted great, so I think I'll try to ride it out at this temp and hope it finishes dry enough.
Sweet !!! Real life expierence. So at those high temps what flavors are produced ? The airlock is kicking off a lot of bananna at 75 degrees right now and that's what I'm concerned about a bananna bomb. I don't want that.

Ps- I'm doing the saison de pipaix clone from byo which is heavily spiced ti begin with.
__________________
Funky Onion Brewing est.2010
Primary-Turbid mashed Lambic
Primary-Flanders Red
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:23 AM   #7
phenry
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Clemson, SC
Posts: 1,222
Liked 121 Times on 73 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschecte View Post
Sweet !!! Real life expierence. So at those high temps what flavors are produced ? The airlock is kicking off a lot of bananna at 75 degrees right now and that's what I'm concerned about a bananna bomb. I don't want that.

Ps- I'm doing the saison de pipaix clone from byo which is heavily spiced ti begin with.
Pretty fruity and spicy, definitely not dominated by banana though. I think (keep in mind I don't do that very well) that the banana smelling esters may be one of the more volatile ones that yeast produce. Every time I've used Wy3787 my airlock always smells of ripe banana, but it never really dominates the finished product.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:36 AM   #8
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Aschecte's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Florida, NY
Posts: 1,692
Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by phenry

Pretty fruity and spicy, definitely not dominated by banana though. I think (keep in mind I don't do that very well) that the banana smelling esters may be one of the more volatile ones that yeast produce. Every time I've used Wy3787 my airlock always smells of ripe banana, but it never really dominates the finished product.
When your referring to flavor are you talking about wy3787 ? I'm using white labs 565 saison I the DuPont strain for saison.

Wy3787 is Trappist high gravity
__________________
Funky Onion Brewing est.2010
Primary-Turbid mashed Lambic
Primary-Flanders Red
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #9
phenry
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Clemson, SC
Posts: 1,222
Liked 121 Times on 73 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschecte View Post
When your referring to flavor are you talking about wy3787 ? I'm using white labs 565 saison I the DuPont strain for saison.

Wy3787 is Trappist high gravity
Yeah, I know, I was just referencing to that yeast because my airlock/blowoff container always reeks of banana in the first stages of fermenting with that strain, yet it doesn't dominate the finished beer. My Wy3724 batch (same as 565 or so everyone says) must have a leaky bucket lid, because the airlock has been completely silent since it started fermenting so I can't really relate what mine smells like.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:29 PM   #10
crackhead7
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
cleveland, ohio
Posts: 236
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I pitched 565 the first time I used it at 75 and let it ride on its own and ended up with a beer full of phenols and higher alcohols, you really want to let the growth phase. Complete before you push the temps any higher.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump