Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Bottle Sanitization

Old 03-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
Super64
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Default Bottle Sanitization

Two weeks ago I boiled and spritzed with SanStar about twice as many bottles as I needed to bottle my batch.

Each bottle top was foil wrapped and the unused bottles are still wrapped, are sitting in a box covered by a sheet.

Are they still clean or do I need to boil them again?

Thanks.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 538

If you cleaned and sanitized them, then sealed them, there is no reason for anything nasty to be living in them

Old 03-26-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
Passload

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

They are still sanitized. Use them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars
Relax, and trust the yeast to do their job, it's the one thing they are really good at!

Zuckerflüsschen Brauend Firma
On Deck: Whatever I Want
Primary: Sugarcreek Amber Ale
Brite Tank:
Aging: Philr-er-up Rockwell
Drinking/Kegged: The Golden Quitty

"It's just like anything else"
"It's not rocket science"

Old 03-26-2012, 10:32 PM   #4
kapbrew13
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

Heard once its dried, its not effective anymore. That's my 2centz

Old 03-26-2012, 10:44 PM   #5
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapbrew13 View Post
Heard once its dried, its not effective anymore. That's my 2centz
Technically true, however, you're talking about a surface that is now locked away from contaminants (bottles covered with foil). Anything that was in the bottle has already been dealt with and nothing else can get in. Safe.

FYI, commercial breweries get new glass in bulk. Since nothing organic has been in the bottles, they are not considered a harbor for spoilage organisms. Typically, you will see the bottles go through a rinser of some sort... there may or may not be a no rinse sanitizer cycle used... then the glass goes straight to bottling. I worked at Bell's in the early days. All beers were either bottle or keg conditioned. When we were using new glass, the bottles were rinsed by hand with a jet bottle washer using straight, hot tap water. Period. Rinse the day before bottling. Bottle. Done.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:49 PM   #6
kapbrew13
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wailingguitar

Technically true, however, you're talking about a surface that is now locked away from contaminants (bottles covered with foil). Anything that was in the bottle has already been dealt with and nothing else can get in. Safe.

FYI, commercial breweries get new glass in bulk. Since nothing organic has been in the bottles, they are not considered a harbor for spoilage organisms. Typically, you will see the bottles go through a rinser of some sort... there may or may not be a no rinse sanitizer cycle used... then the glass goes straight to bottling. I worked at Bell's in the early days. All beers were either bottle or keg conditioned. When we were using new glass, the bottles were rinsed by hand with a jet bottle washer using straight, hot tap water. Period. Rinse the day before bottling. Bottle. Done.
Nice to learn something new. Thanks for the info.