summertime....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rotary_full

Reaction score
well it is the summer here in Georgia and i have a question about ordering liquid yeast. I ordered some White Labs Califronia Ale Yeast and hops from AHS and i paid for the ice pack. When the package arrived it was warm and the ice pack was thawed. ( wow..... who would have thought?????) Is it ok to brew with liquid yeast if it arrives warm? I made a starter and there was massive ferrmintation in my pale ale after 12 hrs. Will there be any off flavors? thanks for your help.

Geoff

Yes, it'll probably be OK to use, but you have to follow up with a complaint that it arrived warm.

Granted, they probably are only good for about 24 hours, but they are doing their best to save the yeast until it arrives.

It may fall on deaf ears, but you are the customer until you decide to go to another vendor.

I think AHS includes a disclaimer that your ice pack may be thawed when it arrives.

My last order arrived in the same condition as yours, but the yeast worked just fine.

I had this happen last year. It was unseasonably hot at the end of October here...we're talking high 80's to low 90's...and the thing sat on my front stoop all day. It was a vial of WLP550. I emailed White Labs and their response:

"Thank you for your inquiry. The yeast is fine to use. We ship
internationally and it can sometimes take upward to a week to arrive.

Cheers!

JoAnne Carilli-Stevenson
Sales & Marketing Manager
White Labs, Inc. Pure Yeast & Fermentation"

Yup, I live in Georgia also, have ordered from AHS, and the yeast has taken 5+ days to get here. The yeast has always been good to use.

It's probably fine--I alter my strategy a little to use mostly dry yeasts or pre-harvested slurries whenever possible over the summer, because I'm a little dubious about the ability to liquid yeasts to make it from hot Austin to hot, humid Kansas intact, ice pack or no ice pack.

I have done 3 AHS kits in which all of them arrived hot. The white labs worked fine every time.

Back