First Sour Beer Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amarsolek

Reaction score
Alright folks. Here's my question....

I plan on doing the Flander's Red from Brewing Classic Styles. It says a few ways to do it, from adding the Roselare strain in at the beginning with an American Ale Yeast, or at the end. The varying difference being the sourness. My idea is this, but I don't know if it's a good idea or not.

For an increased Volume and to control the final tastes I was thinking of dumping ONLY the Roselare Yeast in and fermenting out all the way with that. Letting it age and sit until ready, and then brewing the same batch with a WLP001 and then blending to taste.

So is it alright to ferment a whole batch with the Roselare strain and then blend? Or do you not want to rely on the main ferment from the dirty bugs.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks!

I prefer to primary with the blend. Tends to sour faster and produce more acid. I would say go for it.

When you say blend, do you mean blend american and roselare? Or the roselare blend?

From what Jamil says on his podcast, relying on the bugs for the whole shebang gives you really unreliable results.

Some people seem to have bad luck pitching just the roeselare so there's a lot of recommendations to pitch a clean strain with it. I've never used roeselare but I've used the lambic blend a bit and never had a problem. For a flanders red I think you're ok pitching something clean and tossing in the roeselare blend in secondary. Probably get a cleaner taste that way.

Unless you filter or treat the sour portion it's going to turn the clean portion sour when you mix them. So that's something to think about.

Back