Whoo Hoo beer brats - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Whoo Hoo beer brats

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2007, 11:41 PM   #11
BlindLemonLars
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Posts: 4,474
Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
It is of my opinion that if you simmer them in beer before they are browned, you lose a ton of flavor. You absolutely have to brown them quite well on the grill and then add them to beer and onions (and a little garlic salt).
Which is better...simmering them in aluminum, or stainless steel?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:09 AM   #12
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
EdWort's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Posts: 11,914
Liked 337 Times on 169 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Barley-Davidson
How many Eggs you got, Ed?
Two Larges, 1 Small, and 2 mini eggs. Keeps me busy enough.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:49 AM   #13
davidr2340
 
davidr2340's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
Mill Creek, WA
Posts: 428
Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
Two Larges, 1 Small, and 2 mini eggs. Keeps me busy enough.
Damn you...!!!

__________________
David - Mill Creek Brewing Co.

Primary: Empty
Kegged: Hazelnut Brown Ale / Tipple Twister Barleywine

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 04:36 AM   #14
67coupe390
 
67coupe390's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Waukesha, Wisconsin
Posts: 509
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars
Which is better...simmering them in aluminum, or stainless steel?
I don't know if glass is better than plastic
__________________
Coupe 390

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:41 AM   #15
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
 
Jaybird's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Nor*Cal
Posts: 7,478
Liked 944 Times on 667 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
I like to slow smoke mine for about an hour with hickory wood. Hmmm good. With horseradish mustard & a cold brewski.

ED
do you do anything without a picture???
Nice shot
JJ
__________________
Need a False Bottom for your Keg, Kettle or Cooler?

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE


Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too
Smoke Cigars? www.stogietoys.com

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guy Cigar Club

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 12:53 PM   #16
McCall St. Brewer
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
West Monroe, Louisiana
Posts: 1,171
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts


I don't know, but even at 7:52 on Saturday morning, those brats in Ed's picture are looking mighty good!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:08 PM   #17
JnJ
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 823
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


I don't know, I used to believe the only way to do beer brats was to grill them then put them in the beer bath. But, I watched Bobby Flay (SP?) one day and decided to try his way. Put beer and other ingredients (Garlic, Onions, etc. I perfer a dark Ale) you like in pot. Put pot on grill, make small cuts in brats (I know, never cut the meat, you lose the juices). Place brats in said pot and heat (DONT BOIL) until brats float. Then, pull brats and grill till nicely browned. These are the best brats I've ever had and I lived in Germany for 6 years and ate a lot of brats! The beer flavor really gets in the brat. If you grill them first, that "seals" them up and the beer (and other ingredients) can not get in.
This is my new way to cook brats, and I truely believe, if someone trys this and is honest, they will perfer them too.
__________________
Töpperwein Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:19 PM   #18
rdwj
 
rdwj's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
Plainfield, IL
Posts: 4,577
Liked 35 Times on 25 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JnJ
I don't know, I used to believe the only way to do beer brats was to grill them then put them in the beer bath. But, I watched Bobby Flay (SP?) one day and decided to try his way. Put beer and other ingredients (Garlic, Onions, etc. I perfer a dark Ale) you like in pot. Put pot on grill, make small cuts in brats (I know, never cut the meat, you lose the juices). Place brats in said pot and heat (DONT BOIL) until brats float. Then, pull brats and grill till nicely browned. These are the best brats I've ever had and I lived in Germany for 6 years and ate a lot of brats! The beer flavor really gets in the brat. If you grill them first, that "seals" them up and the beer (and other ingredients) can not get in.
This is my new way to cook brats, and I truely believe, if someone trys this and is honest, they will perfer them too.
That's similar to what I do, but I'm going to have to try that whole process
__________________
On Tap: Whatever I just brewed (got sick of updating it)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:09 AM   #19
Brewer3401
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Brewer3401's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2004
Southeast Louisiana
Posts: 1,152
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


I boil mine in beer (bud or some other stuff that only smells good when you boil the fcuk out of it). Then I put them on the grill.

Don't poke a hole in them. All the juice runs out, then you have a dry weener. Sounds good, unless you're talking about brats.

.............hey whitey, where's your hat.
__________________
Fermenter: Blonde Ale
Brite tank: -0-
Kegged: -0-

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:04 PM   #20
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
TheJadedDog's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2006
People's Republic of Cambridge
Posts: 3,316
Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts


I like to boil them in beer then put them on the grill with onions, absolute perfection.

I've never tried browning them first and then adding the beer, I'll have to try that this winter when I go back to making them on the stove.

The real question of course is, which beer to cook them with.
__________________
And now we go AG!

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter


 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brats and Beer today in Oakland, CA pkpdogg South West Homebrew Forum 0 10-17-2009 06:02 PM
beer brats amishland Cooking & Pairing 2 06-10-2009 01:15 AM
Brats and beer ThreeDogsNE Cooking & Pairing 20 05-30-2009 08:23 AM
Whoo hoo! I have Beer! AFAJ Brew Guy Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 01-24-2008 12:30 PM
Whoo hoo!!! YES! GOOD beer! Zymurgrafi All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 2 04-24-2007 09:42 PM


Forum Jump