Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Founders

Old 09-01-2012, 02:47 AM   #21
iambeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 128

I've had their porter and I will never forget that experience. Awesome.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:58 AM   #22
Bricks41
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Breakfast Stout is one of my overall favorites! KBS is amazing too but too rare to fall in love with. We are fortunate to have more than our ample supply of Founders. Breakfast Stout was on the shelves well into April/May. Yum...

Old 09-01-2012, 03:02 AM   #23
rtb178
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Love Founders. Hate their bottles. By far the thinnest of the brands I regularly buy.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #24
AdamWiz
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

I have been loving Founders lately also. The Frangelic Mountain Brown was one of the best beers I've had lately. It's a shame that I didn't drink Founders for a long time. When they were still a relatively new brewery(around 1998), I tried a few of their beers and HATED them. Can't remember which ones, but some would be OK and some would be DMS or diacetyl galore( I did not know what DMS or diacetyl were at the time, I just knew the beer was no good. Now that I brew, I know what it was. The awfulness of those beers really stuck with me). I wrote off Founders for good. It wasn't until years later when I got involved with a girl from Grand Rapids (now my wife) who insisted I go to their bar. I fell in love with Founders that night. Every beer I tried was outstanding. Since then, Founders is one of my regular purchases when my pipeline is running low. There must have just been some QC issues when they started out. Or maybe it was their old facility - by the time I went there they had moved to the new location. Sorry for the long-winded reply, but I think my story has a good message : never write off a new brewery when some of their initial offerings suffer from QC issues. It is tough when you're starting out, it takes a while to get everything consistently right. I missed out on years of good beer because of my initial judgement of them.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #25
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtb178 View Post
Love Founders. Hate their bottles. By far the thinnest of the brands I regularly buy.
Not sure what you mean. Thinnest bottles? I just bottled a whole batch into Founders bottles, so I hope you don't mean they break easily. I've dropped whole full bottles from waist height and it didn't crack.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #26
rtb178
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanThomas View Post
Not sure what you mean. Thinnest bottles? I just bottled a whole batch into Founders bottles, so I hope you don't mean they break easily. I've dropped whole full bottles from waist height and it didn't crack.
They're quite light, and feel a bit flimsy compared to, say, SN bottles. It's a goofy thing to be annoyed about, however, and I totally get how it's stupid.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:16 AM   #27
TrustyOlJohnson
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 131 Posts

I just bottled a Founders Breakfast Stout clone from BYO recipe and the recipe posted on here. Tasted great going into the bottles. Now I can have Breakfast Stout year round!!!!