Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > How to carbonate keg?

Old 03-27-2012, 05:40 PM   #11
LateraLex
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Hi - I have an American Amber in primary, that will be my first ever going to keg in 2 weeks. Can you help me not mess up the initial carbonation, as I will be eager to get it right out of the gate.
If I were to rack to the keg, and chill to say 40 degrees in a keezer, it appears that leaving it between 9-13psi of co2 would be great over the long-term.
However, if I wanted to either force carbonate it (by rocking it back and forth) under 30psi - would I then set it to 9-13psi after I hear the regular stop pushing new co2?
OR, if I wanted to leave it overnight under pressure instead of rocking it, what would I set it at for the overnight absorption (still 30psi?), and what afterward for serving (still 9-13psi)?

I'm pretty close to understanding this, and know there isn't a perfect science - but am getting a little hung up on the initial carbonation.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #12
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateraLex View Post
Hi - I have an American Amber in primary, that will be my first ever going to keg in 2 weeks. Can you help me not mess up the initial carbonation, as I will be eager to get it right out of the gate.
If I were to rack to the keg, and chill to say 40 degrees in a keezer, it appears that leaving it between 9-13psi of co2 would be great over the long-term.
However, if I wanted to either force carbonate it (by rocking it back and forth) under 30psi - would I then set it to 9-13psi after I hear the regular stop pushing new co2?
OR, if I wanted to leave it overnight under pressure instead of rocking it, what would I set it at for the overnight absorption (still 30psi?), and what afterward for serving (still 9-13psi)?

I'm pretty close to understanding this, and know there isn't a perfect science - but am getting a little hung up on the initial carbonation.
don't feel bad. I am a couple weeks away from kegging my first batch and I am completely lost.

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 03-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #13
spokaniac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The confusing/frustrating thing is that it takes up to a couple of days for it to equalize. You can speed it up by shaking and rocking, but there is no way to tell how much it is speeding things up. The foolproof way is to get the pressure off of the chart for your temp and desired volume of CO2, set it there and wait. Doing the high pressure with or without shaking can result in overcarbonation, in which case you drop your pressure and wait for it to come back down.

Am starting to learn, with almost everything to do with beer you must wait for it to come out great.
Kegged: BM clone/double chocolate stout
On Deck: Hefe

Old 03-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #14
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Deleted. Duh, I should read the first page of the post before replying.
Primary #1: Border Crossing Vienna II #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Blackberry Rhubarb wine #2: Empty #3: Empty
Kegged
: Dusseldorf Altbier II
Bottles
: Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Russian Imperial Stout, Barolo Wine, Berry Rhubarb Wine, Black Currant wine
On Deck: BGSA, 2 Hearts IPA, Pumpkin Ale, RIS, Pre-Prohibition Lager

Old 03-27-2012, 07:25 PM   #15
LateraLex
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 30

This had a pretty useful chart, doesn't completely answer the question but does help. I find it a bit weird that the OP of the chart is advocating going straight to keg without any conditioning, and what would happen to all the trub?
It does seem like you can turbo it for 24 hours, remove the head pressure, then drop to your normal pressure for ongoing usage.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/keg-...strated-73328/