How to carbonate keg? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > How to carbonate keg?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2012, 12:56 PM   #1
Stellarstar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Geelong, Vic
Posts: 72


Hello all I am a new brewer and am about to transfer beer in to keg. Should I siphon it so I don't get the sediment? And what pressure to I fill keg with gas and how long? Thanks

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
Darwin18
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Garner, NC
Posts: 5,343
Liked 952 Times on 668 Posts


http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/stic...ng-faqs-43347/

greaserdan Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
Slipgate
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Damascus, MD
Posts: 591
Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts


Transfer (rack) your beer into your keg using a siphon. You will get some sediment which typically comes out with your first pour. Seal your keg (put the top on). Hit the keg with 30psi of pressure to make sure everything is sealed. Purge the head space which is just keeping the pressure at 30psi and pulling the release valve a few times for 2-3 seconds each time. Put it in the kegerator. Keep the keg at 30psi for 36 hours. Then reduce to serving pressure (8-12psi). It will be carbonated within 2-3 days after that.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
Darwin18
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Garner, NC
Posts: 5,343
Liked 952 Times on 668 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipgate View Post
Keep the keg at 30psi for 36 hours. Then reduce to serving pressure (8-12psi). It will be carbonated within 2-3 days after that.
Personally, I think that isn't the best advice. Yes it will work, however if you use the 'set and forget' method you're guaranteed to have carbonated beer with minimal foaming issues. Set the keg to serving pressure and walk away for a couple weeks. Then you won't be posting here about how all you're getting is foam.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #5
Slipgate
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Damascus, MD
Posts: 591
Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin18 View Post
Personally, I think that isn't the best advice. Yes it will work, however if you use the 'set and forget' method you're guaranteed to have carbonated beer with minimal foaming issues. Set the keg to serving pressure and walk away for a couple weeks. Then you won't be posting here about how all you're getting is foam.
True, for a newbie, set and forget it typically 100%. But I can't wait that long. If I start this on Tuesday - by the weekend I am drinking the beer. And actually I usually go 48 hours at 30psi. That starts to get into danger zone but I am good about not forgetting about it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:25 PM   #6
graduate
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Western NY
Posts: 155
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipgate View Post
Transfer (rack) your beer into your keg using a siphon. You will get some sediment which typically comes out with your first pour. Seal your keg (put the top on). Hit the keg with 30psi of pressure to make sure everything is sealed. Purge the head space which is just keeping the pressure at 30psi and pulling the release valve a few times for 2-3 seconds each time. Put it in the kegerator. Keep the keg at 30psi for 36 hours. Then reduce to serving pressure (8-12psi). It will be carbonated within 2-3 days after that.
This works perfect everytime for me

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:16 AM   #7
Stellarstar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Geelong, Vic
Posts: 72

Thanks guys I will try both methods on 2 different kegs see how I go. Cheers

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #8
Supurb
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
West Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 201
Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts


I find this carbonation table extremely useful. It gives you the proper PSI based on beer style and temperature you are carbonating at:

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php
__________________
http://www.BeerClings.com - Custom Reusable Beer Labels

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #9
WSB-MBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
WSB-MBC's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Mansfield, TX
Posts: 95
Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts


is that the PSI recommended for Serving (at listed temp) or for carbonating ?

I'm about to keg my first batch and have tons of questions - although I'm slowly figuring it out

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #10
spokaniac
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
spokane, WA
Posts: 270
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


That is the pressure the keg needs to be at to maintain the CO2 volume. If you need 25 psi for your desired carb level and turn it down to 10, the carbonation level will drop and it will go flat. You need to maintain the pressure for the desired CO2 volume and balance that pressure with hose length/diameter to get the right pour at that pressure.
__________________
Primary: MT
Secondary: MT
Bottled and disappearing: Pale Ale/BM clone/Dbl Choc stout
Kegged: BM clone/double chocolate stout
On Deck: Hefe

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump