WYeast question - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > WYeast question

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2012, 02:01 AM   #1
sanibel14
Recipes 
 
May 2010
sanibel, florida
Posts: 67
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts



Just got done brewing an IPA. The direct pitch activator didn't get popped for the 3 hours prior as the instructions ask for. Just took it out of fridge and let it sit on counter until it was time to pitch. Realized I had messed up but just went ahead and popped it and dumped it in 5 gallons of wort. What can happen? Can I die from this:



 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:03 AM   #2
buckeyebrewer
 
buckeyebrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2007
OH-IO
Posts: 469
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


It contains nutrients to help the yeast activate. No worries...your gonna live.


__________________
-----------------------------------------------------
It's not a beer gut....I'm building a shed over my tool.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:07 AM   #3
DoubleAught
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Seymour, Indiana
Posts: 1,249
Liked 106 Times on 81 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyebrewer View Post
It contains nutrients to help the yeast activate. No worries...your gonna live.
+1, just might take a little longer for your fermentation to kick off
__________________
In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
RandomBeerGuy
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Tacoma, Wa
Posts: 750
Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts


But since the smack pack has the nutrient packet in it. Is it pointless to use them and make a starter? Isn't the point of the activator to start the yeast? I used my first smack pack. Dunno if I'll return to it. I do like white labs yeast strains.
__________________
Click'Clack Drink'Drunk - 99.9 KISW The Mens Room
----------------------------------------------------

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
SwampassJ
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Coral Springs, FL
Posts: 2,163
Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomBeerGuy View Post
But since the smack pack has the nutrient packet in it. Is it pointless to use them and make a starter? Isn't the point of the activator to start the yeast? I used my first smack pack. Dunno if I'll return to it. I do like white labs yeast strains.
The activator just lets you know if you have viable yeast, like proofing dry yeast. I make a starter for every liquid yeast because of better pitching rates and I have no idea how long it sat in a 120 degree truck being shipped out to here. No it's not needed but it's a good way to get good healthy yeast ready for beer. And with a starter you will always know if you're pitching dead yeast without waiting 2-3 days with no signs.
__________________
BLAH BLAH BLAH

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
RandomBeerGuy
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Tacoma, Wa
Posts: 750
Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampassJ View Post
The activator just lets you know if you have viable yeast, like proofing dry yeast. I make a starter for every liquid yeast because of better pitching rates and I have no idea how long it sat in a 120 degree truck being shipped out to here. No it's not needed but it's a good way to get good healthy yeast ready for beer. And with a starter you will always know if you're pitching dead yeast without waiting 2-3 days with no signs.
OK thanks, it was just a thought.


__________________
Click'Clack Drink'Drunk - 99.9 KISW The Mens Room
----------------------------------------------------

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do you say Wyeast!? EamusCatuli General Beer Discussion 31 11-28-2014 11:27 PM
Wyeast 1010.. UGH auto General Beer Discussion 7 01-07-2009 03:02 AM
Wyeast Nutrient duskb General Beer Discussion 3 10-21-2008 03:51 PM
Wyeast castillo General Beer Discussion 1 05-11-2008 04:04 PM
Wyeast 2112 StankAle General Beer Discussion 8 02-26-2008 03:28 PM


Forum Jump