Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Taking the plunge. Open Fermentation. Yes I'm willing to dump a batch.
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2012, 01:39 AM   #11
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
osagedr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 2,507
Liked 104 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default

You will get the exact same beer but with a slightly increased risk of something infecting your batch. To each their own. Some people are religious about not letting anything foreign get into their beer. I ferment lots of batches (including every single one of my lagers) in a 10g wine fermenter with a loose fitting lid and I peek quite a bit.


__________________
2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing
osagedr is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:46 AM   #12
dragonbreath11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Linden, New Jersey
Posts: 180
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr View Post
You will get the exact same beer but with a slightly increased risk of something infecting your batch. To each their own. Some people are religious about not letting anything foreign get into their beer. I ferment lots of batches (including every single one of my lagers) in a 10g wine fermenter with a loose fitting lid and I peek quite a bit.
Exact beer? I don't know. I'm changing 2 pretty big variables here. Fermenter geometry and keeping it open, both of which from my study have effects on yeast metabolism and the resulting beer. But who knows?


dragonbreath11 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:25 AM   #13
shoreman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: , ma
Posts: 782
Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Id only leave it open for a few days then close it up. You will get the benefits butmifmyou leave it open too long mold & bugs may be an issue. Ive always left the lid on my bucket loose for the first 4-5 days - then coner up and airlock - i like to let them breathe it out a bit
__________________
Small Bottle Homebrew http://www.smallbottlehomebrew.com
shoreman is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:36 AM   #14
rockfish42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Merced, CA
Posts: 814
Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Brewing TV has a couple of episodes on open fermentation
rockfish42 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:30 AM   #15
ReverseApacheMaster
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 4,887
Liked 233 Times on 194 Posts

Default

I've done a small amount of open fermentation (by accident) where I split a batch and half was open and half was closed. There is a very noticeable difference in yeast flavors. The open portion is dramatically lower in esters. However after aging the closed portion ended up being the better tasting beer.
ReverseApacheMaster is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:58 PM   #16
Hermit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Alternate Universe
Posts: 2,266
Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Chris White suggests leaving the top covered loosely with aluminum foil until the krausen falls. I think that is a better idea than the stainer. You will still get oxygen diffusing in.
Hermit is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #17
DarthMalt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Highland Mills, NY
Posts: 314
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default

OP: try to keep this going and report back with your results. I'm interested in the outcome. Thanks!
DarthMalt is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #18
dragonbreath11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Linden, New Jersey
Posts: 180
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Chris White suggests leaving the top covered loosely with aluminum foil until the krausen falls. I think that is a better idea than the stainer. You will still get oxygen diffusing in.
Yes but who cares if I have oxygen diffusing in pre-fermentation? As soon as fermentation is 75-80% done, I plan on putting in a closed container to condition.
dragonbreath11 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #19
Hermit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Alternate Universe
Posts: 2,266
Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbreath11 View Post
Yes but who cares if I have oxygen diffusing in pre-fermentation? As soon as fermentation is 75-80% done, I plan on putting in a closed container to condition.
The point is loose foil will let air in and keep out 'nasties' better than the a strainer. That is why White suggests it.
Hermit is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:29 AM   #20
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
osagedr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 2,507
Liked 104 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbreath11 View Post
Exact beer? I don't know. I'm changing 2 pretty big variables here. Fermenter geometry and keeping it open, both of which from my study have effects on yeast metabolism and the resulting beer. But who knows?
Hopefully it turns out great!


__________________
2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing
osagedr is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Inadvertant Open Fermentation- just go with it? JimTheHick Fermentation & Yeast 4 12-15-2011 12:35 AM
I am considering doing an open fermentation. Mikethepoolguy Fermentation & Yeast 1 03-26-2011 06:21 PM
Trying an open fermentation Bradmont Fermentation & Yeast 6 02-13-2011 08:36 PM
Fermentation taking longer than expected.... Trailerhook Fermentation & Yeast 7 01-31-2011 12:45 AM
Open Fermentation flabyboy Fermentation & Yeast 2 12-26-2010 02:28 AM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS