Trading/Shipping beer - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Trading/Shipping beer

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2012, 11:43 PM   #1
naristov
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
New York, Ny
Posts: 61
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



I want to send my friend a 6 pack of my homebrew. How do you guys typically send beer when your trading? UPS etc I remember reading somewhere on here someone put a BBQ Sauce label on their beer. Also any packaging tricks or experiences would be great.



Thanks
__________________
Primary 1: Belgium Tripel
Primary 2: None
Secondary: None
Bottled:EggNog Stout, Dead Ringer IPA
Next: Smoked Cherry Ale, Jalapeno Session

Drinking: Dogfish Head Pumpkin Ale , Ommegang Abbey Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
Native302
 
Native302's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Milton, Delaware
Posts: 671
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


USPS insured, tracking, and delivery conformation in a priority box and individually wrap each bottle in bubble wrap with bubble wrap lining the top, bottom, and sides as well. Shipped 34 packages this way and never an issue.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber

Just buy a small swimming pool, throw everything in and mash it. Then open ferment in another swimming pool with all the yeast.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:51 PM   #3
phenry
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Clemson, SC
Posts: 1,222
Liked 121 Times on 73 Posts


Don't ship with USPS, last I checked that was still against the law. Doesn't mean I haven't used them before though, but I still stick with shipping companies for peace of mind. If UPS or Fedex asks what I'm shipping I usually just say car parts. There's a sticky around here somewhere that has pretty good instructions on how to pack your bottles.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:01 AM   #4
Evillive
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Hobart, In
Posts: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenry
Don't ship with USPS, last I checked that was still against the law. Doesn't mean I haven't used them before though, but I still stick with shipping companies for peace of mind. If UPS or Fedex asks what I'm shipping I usually just say car parts. There's a sticky around here somewhere that has pretty good instructions on how to pack your bottles.
I could be wrong, but I believe it's against the law, no matter which carrier u use. That being said, I wrap each bottle in bubble wrap, with extra bubble wrap or crumpled newspaper in any open spaces. I believe u can check online with all 3 carriers (USPS, UPS & FedEx) to see who's cheapest. Just put in the box measurements & weight.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:00 AM   #5
Native302
 
Native302's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Milton, Delaware
Posts: 671
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


No one knows what is in your sealed box unless you tell them. USPS is the fastest and cheapest for me, with never a broken bottle.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber

Just buy a small swimming pool, throw everything in and mash it. Then open ferment in another swimming pool with all the yeast.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:06 AM   #6
phenry
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Clemson, SC
Posts: 1,222
Liked 121 Times on 73 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Evillive View Post
I could be wrong, but I believe it's against the law, no matter which carrier u use. That being said, I wrap each bottle in bubble wrap, with extra bubble wrap or crumpled newspaper in any open spaces. I believe u can check online with all 3 carriers (USPS, UPS & FedEx) to see who's cheapest. Just put in the box measurements & weight.
I do know it's against company policy for UPS and FedEx, I don't really think they would pursue harsh legal action if they found out you were shipping a bottle or two of homebrew though. I could very well be wrong though as well.

Just make sure you package your bottles well so none of them break and you don't really have to worry about anything.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:40 AM   #7
duboman
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Glenview, IL
Posts: 6,368
Liked 508 Times on 470 Posts


It is not against the law to ship beer by USPS, in fact this is how most competitions receive their beer from entrants. UPS and FedEx have policy against it but if packaged properly they don't know, regardless, no one wants busted bottles so packaging is key!

Box should be lined with bubble wrap, individual bottles wrapped with bubble so they don't touch, once in the box there should be no room to move and lots of cushion, don't forget the top when you close also.

By the time you're done with a six pack it's a heavy package!
__________________
Nothing Left to do but smile and drink beer.....

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:53 AM   #8
TheBreweryUnderground
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Nelsonville, Ohio
Posts: 335
Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts


I was thinking a flat rate shipping box would be cheapest, any thoughts?
__________________
“… Besides, the Word is the principal part of baptism. If in an emergency there’s no water at hand, it doesn’t matter whether water or beer is used.” ~Martin Luther

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:01 AM   #9
Evillive
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Hobart, In
Posts: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBreweryUnderground
I was thinking a flat rate shipping box would be cheapest, any thoughts?
This is what I use. And the box is free!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interested trading beer found in canada for a Pliny? JasonToews General Beer Discussion 5 12-22-2011 02:43 PM
Trading beer lgoolsby General Beer Discussion 16 06-09-2011 05:43 AM
beer trading knifey_spoony General Beer Discussion 7 06-06-2011 04:44 PM
Beer Trading mresa641 General Beer Discussion 1 07-19-2008 02:27 AM
trading yeast ggenovez General Beer Discussion 15 12-29-2005 11:36 PM


Forum Jump