Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Storing SCOBYS in the Fridge?

Old 03-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
buchababe90
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Storing SCOBYS in the Fridge?

I had a bunch of leftover SCOBYS in the fridge and decided to brew another batch using one of the refrigerated ones. This morning I read that you shouldn't store SCOBYS in the fridge because the culture becomes inactive and will get moldy during the fermentation process. Has anyone had this experience? I don't mind if I have to throw it out I just don't want it contaminating my other SCOBYS (I have several in separate jars).

Old 03-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
homebeerbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I'm not an expert, but I've kept a couple scobys in the fridge without problems. Then again, they've only been in there for a few days.

Also, I keep my kombucha that I'm drinking in the fridge, and if I don't drink it within a few days, it starts to develop a new one. And that's without a scoby in it, just free floating yeast and bacteria. I think you'll be ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaRules View Post
... I just threw up on my wife.