Coffee - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Coffee

Old 03-24-2012, 05:40 AM   #1
ChshreCat
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Camano Island, Washington
Liked 539 Times on 431 Posts

I never was a coffee drinker but at the age of 40 I've suddenly discovered coffee. This is like beer for the morning! Bitter, strong and so many different variations! Why didn't I start this sooner? And all the stuff you can get for it! Got a conical burr grinder now. Researching all the local roasters like I do the local microbreweries. Seriously. It's just like beer but you drink it in the morning.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2011
Meridian, ID
Liked 379 Times on 286 Posts

You are for in a real treat. Great work picking up a burr grinder so quickly - that is the biggest difference one can make in their home coffee. The PNW is loaded with fantastic roasters. If you want a real treat, check out Stumptown, Intelligentsia, Coava, Water Avenue or George Howell to name a few. if you want a killer listing of roasters, check this out:

http://www.home-barista.com/coffees/...rs-t12125.html

Nearly every roaster on that list really nails it.

Cheers

Old 03-24-2012, 06:29 AM   #3
Dawnhulio
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Portland, OR
Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin View Post
You are for in a real treat. Great work picking up a burr grinder so quickly - that is the biggest difference one can make in their home coffee. The PNW is loaded with fantastic roasters. If you want a real treat, check out Stumptown, Intelligentsia, Coava, Water Avenue or George Howell to name a few. if you want a killer listing of roasters, check this out:

http://www.home-barista.com/coffees/...rs-t12125.html

Nearly every roaster on that list really nails it.

Cheers
Stumptown is awesome...

Look around, you'll find mom-and-pop-style roasters in places you'd never guess. The little nursery where we purchased last year's Christmas tree had a vacuum roaster out front (it smelled awesome, and was fun watching the beans circulate around). Inside they had a small case of light to dark roasted varieties they put together, and cooler yet was the HUGE bags of unroasted beans from different countries. Apparently they make big bank out of that little nursery just on the coffee alone... and it was awesome to chat with them about their 'hobby'.

Kind of like visiting ones LHBS...

Old 03-24-2012, 06:30 AM   #4
brewmaster89
Recipes 

Oct 2011
San Diego, CA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've been drinking coffee since I was like 16. Lol I drink it every morning. Not sure what I would do without it. Haha

Old 03-24-2012, 07:09 AM   #5
ChshreCat
Recipes 

Aug 2008

This is right up the road from us and is where I'm currently getting my beans:
http://www.camanoislandcoffee.com/

Old 03-24-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
Dawnhulio
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Portland, OR
Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts

Pricing is awesome for what appears to be top grade goods... might have to check this out for myself!

I brew with a French press, and grind the beans through a burr grinder ... I get a robust cup of Joe that can be enjoyed on its own (no creamer or sweetener). Yum

Old 03-24-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
ChshreCat
Recipes 

Aug 2008

I picked up a bag of the dark roast sumatra for my mom last weekend and had some of it. It was fantastic. I don't put anything in my coffee, but I do sometimes get the flavored coffee. The added flavor is usually fairly subtle in the ones I've gotten.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #8
jammin

Recipes 

Jun 2011
Meridian, ID
Liked 379 Times on 286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
I picked up a bag of the dark roast sumatra for my mom last weekend and had some of it. It was fantastic. I don't put anything in my coffee, but I do sometimes get the flavored coffee. The added flavor is usually fairly subtle in the ones I've gotten.
Sumatran coffees are known for their earthy to pungent flavors, low acidity and heavy body. See if you can find some Kenyan, Ethiopian (Yrgacheffe or Sidamo) or Guatemalan coffees - they will really open your eyes up (no pun intended lol). Amongst real coffee snoots - Kenyans are the real gems to be had. They have very high acidity and very complex flavors. Ethiopian coffees are usually dry processed and maintain a lot of soft fruity/chocolately flavors. Guatemalan coffees are known for their very clean cup with balanced acidity, body and sweetness.

Cheers

Old 03-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #9
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Mar 2007
, New Jersey
Liked 844 Times on 609 Posts

Sig worthy. Thanks!

Old 03-24-2012, 11:48 PM   #10
KayaBrew