Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Pipe smoking, a lost art.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #821
JPhomebrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I've been up all night and read all 83 pages of this thread and it has inspired me to go out and buy a pipe and some tobacco. I came home with two corncob pipes per recommendation to try different types of tobacco in and a couple ounces of different types of tobacco. I'm enjoying my first bowl now and Ive definitely found a new hobby to go along with my newfound love for homebrewing. I just started my first ever homebrew earlier this week on Tuesday, a Caramel Apple Hard Cider and will be starting my first batch of beer tonight or tomorrow morning. Hopefully come payday i can order a churchwarden and also an estate pipe. Really glad i found this thread. Thank you Dan for starting it and also thanks to the rest of you guys for posting your advice and links.

diodeart Likes This 
Old 08-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #822
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2033 Times on 1261 Posts
Likes Given: 2904

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer

Never seen anything like it.
Digging up an old thread

I didn't read down the rest of the original thread page tonight. But id be suprised if I didn't comment before.

The pipe you put a pic of reminds me of a pipe I had given to me from a person in Sweden. That might make them Swedish pipes

Aside from all that. The screw in bowl pipes in my experience smoke well, are not hot smokers and easy to maintain

Old 08-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #823
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2033 Times on 1261 Posts
Likes Given: 2904

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhomebrews
So I've been up all night and read all 83 pages of this thread and it has inspired me to go out and buy a pipe and some tobacco. I came home with two corncob pipes per recommendation to try different types of tobacco in and a couple ounces of different types of tobacco. I'm enjoying my first bowl now and Ive definitely found a new hobby to go along with my newfound love for homebrewing. I just started my first ever homebrew earlier this week on Tuesday, a Caramel Apple Hard Cider and will be starting my first batch of beer tonight or tomorrow morning. Hopefully come payday i can order a churchwarden and also an estate pipe. Really glad i found this thread. Thank you Dan for starting it and also thanks to the rest of you guys for posting your advice and links.
JP,

Thanks for checking out this thread. GMB, Is probably the person most willingly to share his expertise. If you have question he's the guy that will answer. Don't get me wrong. Ill help as well as many others, gillaMinum. Just does it better

Old 08-24-2013, 10:23 PM   #824
JPhomebrews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I subscribed earlier this morning and I'm sure ill have a lot more questions to ask you guys as i take on this new endeavour! Thanks again Dan and ill make sure to keep GMB in mind for future posts.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:08 PM   #825
JPhomebrews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Pipe smoking is definitely an art. I couldn't keep a bowl lit the first day for the life of me, then i realized my tobacco was way to wet. Left the bag open for a day and it seems to be smoking better. I've been using the "Frank Method" but that will take some practice as well.

I know this has been asked a few times and is subjective to the smoker, but what blends/tobacco would you guys recommend? As far as this is concerned is there a good blend to smoke to refinine the palat a bit before moving to thhe more delicate/complex blends?

What do you guys smoke? From what i can remember Frog Morton and Virginia #1 are popular along with Blue Note(brand or blend?) and i think Chocolate Silk. Those are the ones that come to mind at least.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:04 AM   #826
EHV
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 106

I've mentioned it a few times but I'm a big fan of Seattle Pipe Clubs Mississippi River. Also Frog Morton, Frog Morton Cellar, Orlik Golden Slice. Limerick (sp?) are on my shelves right now.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:40 AM   #827
JPhomebrews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHV View Post
I've mentioned it a few times but I'm a big fan of Seattle Pipe Clubs Mississippi River. Also Frog Morton, Frog Morton Cellar, Orlik Golden Slice. Limerick (sp?) are on my shelves right now.
Can you get those from pipesandcigars? I've noticed almost every one of their pipes are sold out or on backorder.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #828
cluckk
Recipes 

Liked 356 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhomebrews View Post
Pipe smoking is definitely an art. I couldn't keep a bowl lit the first day for the life of me, then i realized my tobacco was way to wet. Left the bag open for a day and it seems to be smoking better. I've been using the "Frank Method" but that will take some practice as well.

I know this has been asked a few times and is subjective to the smoker, but what blends/tobacco would you guys recommend? As far as this is concerned is there a good blend to smoke to refinine the palat a bit before moving to thhe more delicate/complex blends?

What do you guys smoke? From what i can remember Frog Morton and Virginia #1 are popular along with Blue Note(brand or blend?) and i think Chocolate Silk. Those are the ones that come to mind at least.
I smoke mostly English blends and a Cavendish blend. I haven't bought a tin of tobacco since I couldn't find Presbyterian Mixture where I live. Instead, I usually buy blends made up by my tobacconist.

Another thing, besides the tobacco being too moist is the way the pipe is packed. I think I've shared in on here before, and I assume everyone smoking for a while knows it but permit me to share it again. for the new guys. The old saying is that it takes three hands to pack the pipe. The first hand is the hand of a child, the second is the hand of a woman and the third is the hand of a man. So you fill the bowl with tobacco and press it with about the force that a child would do. Then you add more tobacco and press it with the force of a woman's hand. Finally top off the bowl and press it with the force of a man'd hand. So, you have three layers pressed at every increasing pressure. It should draw then about the same as a well rolled cigar. It shouldn't be like puffing on a straw--to loose. Neither should it be like trying to suck a thick milk shake--to tight.

To light, if you use matches, allow the sulfur to burn off before applying to the tobacco. If using a butane lighter try not to scorch the lip of the bowl. If you use a fluid Zippo realize that you will have some residual flavor from the fluid. Fluid Zippos are best avoided on English blends since they have no casing to cover that taste. Apply the heat to the tobacco and draw. Try to ignite the whole surface of the tobacco. Tamp it back down gently with your tamper on your pipe tool or pipe nail. Relight while drawing and then enjoy the smoke.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #829
JPhomebrews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluckk View Post

I smoke mostly English blends and a Cavendish blend. I haven't bought a tin of tobacco since I couldn't find Presbyterian Mixture where I live. Instead, I usually buy blends made up by my tobacconist.

Another thing, besides the tobacco being too moist is the way the pipe is packed. I think I've shared in on here before, and I assume everyone smoking for a while knows it but permit me to share it again. for the new guys. The old saying is that it takes three hands to pack the pipe. The first hand is the hand of a child, the second is the hand of a woman and the third is the hand of a man. So you fill the bowl with tobacco and press it with about the force that a child would do. Then you add more tobacco and press it with the force of a woman's hand. Finally top off the bowl and press it with the force of a man'd hand. So, you have three layers pressed at every increasing pressure. It should draw then about the same as a well rolled cigar. It shouldn't be like puffing on a straw--to loose. Neither should it be like trying to suck a thick milk shake--to tight.

To light, if you use matches, allow the sulfur to burn off before applying to the tobacco. If using a butane lighter try not to scorch the lip of the bowl. If you use a fluid Zippo realize that you will have some residual flavor from the fluid. Fluid Zippos are best avoided on English blends since they have no casing to cover that taste. Apply the heat to the tobacco and draw. Try to ignite the whole surface of the tobacco. Tamp it back down gently with your tamper on your pipe tool or pipe nail. Relight while drawing and then enjoy the smoke.
You are the man! I remember reading that but i for the "Frank Method" for some reason. What i don't remember reading when you originally posted that(though I'm sure you did) is the draw should be like a well rolled cigar. My bowis have been way to loose. Packed one in thirds after reading that and got what i would consider to be like drawing on a cigar. Smoking much better now. I need to go out and buy a real pipe when i get paid though, my corn cob pipe seems to be fouling up already.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #830
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 550 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Definitely pack it a little tighter. My first tries with the Frank method were WAY too loose. Went through an entire book of matches.

Nothing wrong with the cob; I love mine. Highly doubt it's fouled up already.