Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Need law knowledge for this one

Old 03-23-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
ChefJoeR
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Need law knowledge for this one

I have the owners of the restaurant interested in me brewing some beer. Unfortunately with the laws in Georgia, and I am pretty sure everywhere else, you need a brewing license. But do you need a license if you are not selling it as a product, but as an ingredient of a dish? I have talked to them about dishes with shellfish and beer, meats and beer.... Obviously you consuming this product as part of cooked dish. Any input? I can explain/expand further if you need.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:45 PM   #2
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2033 Times on 1261 Posts
Likes Given: 2904

Are you going to be paid in any way for the beer you brew? Pretty sure makes no difference whether it is for consumption or a cooking ingredient or the pay is only free meals from a commercial establishment, it would be illegal.

Check your state laws. Questions like this come up occasionally on this forum and that seems to be the general answer.

No way the feds are going to loose out on any possible tax revenue.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:46 PM   #3
Grizzlybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm not sure it would be worth it if you were trying to be perfectly legally obliging. What about making some hopped wort to use for cooking? It would take a great deal of recipe formulation, but I think it could be done and fall under the same laws as food production.