Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Awesome Dog Tricks - What have you trained your best friend to do?

Old 03-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #1
Martin30R
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Awesome Dog Tricks - What have you trained your best friend to do?

So I've got a puppy (just shy of 14 weeks right now), and he is awesome. He's smart, and funny ... seems to pick things up really quickly. I'm trying to think of some hilarious tricks to teach him (I really want him to play dead when I say "bang!" for instance), but haven't started on anything yet.

What have you taught your dog to do?

Old 03-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1997 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 3639

My friend's german retriever before she passed used to wear a bottle opener around her neck and could grab a beer from the fridge for you (though she couldnt open the door, which made it not the BEST trick).

My Cheyenne was a loveable twit though... only trick he learned was "Cheyenne, take up space!"

the public demands it so I'm tellin' it accurately.
God sent a mean hail storm my way,
I counteracted with a dirty sack of diapers on his highway.
When I die, I don't need a fancy pine box;
throw my body in the Buick, tune the radio to classic rock. ~Grand Buffet

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 03-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3632 Times on 2470 Posts
Likes Given: 2419

My daughter's lab has been taught to crawl on her tummy. Those dogs will learn anything for a treat!

Her other trick is to nonchalantly pet herself against your foot when you are sitting on the couch. She slowly presses against your foot more and more until you yell at her to knock it off.

She is also good at "sad eyes"...

Old 03-23-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
spazzy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My 12 year old springer spaniel Maggie can shake with both arms, roll over, lay down, get "shot" with a finger and play dead, she used to jump through a hula hoop for a treat but shes kinda old for that now. She also will let you put a treat on her nose and wait for a command to eat it.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
Mparsons327
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Check out zakgeorge21 on YouTube. He's an amazing dog trainer that posts really informative videos. His videos have helped me teach my year old acd a ton of amazing tricks including play dead!

Old 03-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #6
geer537
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 17

My buddy Pablo's favorite trick at parties is to give people knuckles. I started off by teaching him to shake, then eventually just started to stop his paw about halfway up (so it kind of hinges down at the joint) and giving him a different command. Now he only holds his paw about halfway up so you can dap it and he'll put it down. No more shaking for him.

I also talk to him like I do my other friends. He doesn'y 'lay down' he chills out or if I am eating I tell him to scram and he'll head out to another room. It's awesome to hear my dad talk to my dog when my wife and I visit. A 60 year old man telling a dog to chill is pretty hilarious.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #7
Greenbasterd
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

poo off trail so i don't have to pick it up.. more amazing then it might seem

Old 03-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #8
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm working on teaching my lab how to retrieve beer from the fridge. Tie a rag around the handle of the fridge, put a treat inside, and he learned how to open the fridge in about 5 minutes. Bottles are a bit harder

Oh yea and he rummages through the fridge now on his own until we finally took the rag off. Didn't exactly think that part out...
Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

Old 03-23-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
The_Dog_42
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

Both of ours can do the norm (roll over, play dead, beg, etc)

We've also taught them "beep beep" which means you're in the way and need to move. Spin where they basically chase their tail once. Weave = making a figure 8 through our legs. Over is jump over what is in front of you, under is the opposite. And around is one of the most useful. If they get tied up around a tree, I tell them around and they follow the leash back to me. Other basics that I don't see many people use that we use every day is either "go to bed" and they go to their crates and "go to your blanket" where they go to pad on the floor (really nice for answering the door without dealing with them at our heels...oh yeah and heel).
My 10 yr old chocolate lab Guinness :D thinks her name is goddammit dog or fu@%in' puppy...I think if she were registerable :drunk: her full name would Goddammit Guinness Stop It...Go Away!!! And we Love her dearly :)
My Keg-O-Vision (Kegerator) Build

My Butcherblock-esque Fermentation Chamber

Old 03-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #10
kpr121
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhamilton View Post
I'm working on teaching my lab how to retrieve beer from the fridge. Tie a rag around the handle of the fridge, put a treat inside, and he learned how to open the fridge in about 5 minutes. Bottles are a bit harder

Oh yea and he rummages through the fridge now on his own until we finally took the rag off. Didn't exactly think that part out...
Thats why you need a dedicated beer fridge! Only one thing he can retrieve!

Primary: Two Hearted Clone[B]
Secondary: Table Red Wine, Table White Wine
Kegged:Oberon Clone, "Campfire" Hoppy Red Ale, Brown Trout Stout, Cider
Bottled: Random stuff(Cider, Mead, Wines)
Bulk Aging: Red wine, Blueberry "Brandy"
Up Next: Citra Blonde, Kolsch, IPA, IPA, IPA