Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Boling Whirlfloc with Coopers kit

Old 03-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
norwegianBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Boling Whirlfloc with Coopers kit

I just bought some brewing equipment (fermenter, hydrometer, sanitizer etc.) and some Coopers kits and I have a question.

First of all, I realize that these kits aren't the best way to a perfect tasting beer.
But this being my first attempt at brewing, I'd like something easy and not very complicated.

A Coopers Lager with Coopers Brew Enhancer 1 (instead of sugar) seemed to be an ok start.
I know I'll get more of an ale than a lager.

But anyways...my question is this...

If i'd want to use Irish Moss or Whirlfloc to clear the beer....how would I do it?
Whirlfloc for instance, is normal to put in the last 15 minutes of the boil...but the Coopers kit isn't supposed to be boiled.
I guess it can ruin the taste/aroma/color or whatever.

Gelatin isn't really an option since I don't have the ability to cold crash.

So how can i use Whirlfloc on this? Or is there even any point to do so?

Can I boil water with the Coopers Brew Enhancer 1 and the Whirlfloc, and then add the can contents after boiling?

Old 03-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 177 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 463

Completely unneccessary with their kits. I've only done one but it cleared amazingly on it's own after 3 weeks in the bottle. I think they might even filter out most of the proteins themselves during their processing of their prehopped kits.

Rev.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
norwegianBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ok, thanks!

I guess I'll try the paradox combination of first brew ever...and patience.... :P

Old 03-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
Rev2010
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianBrewer View Post
Ok, thanks!

I guess I'll try the paradox combination of first brew ever...and patience.... :P
Good luck with it. Keep in mind their lager kit produces a drinkable, but very disappointing beer, so don't get discouraged! And don't listen to the instructions. Leave it in the fermenter for 3 weeks, bottle it and wait 3 more. It will taste a lot better and will be almost crystal clear, well mine was after 3 weeks or so and was cloudy earlier.

After that either start doing some extract or AG brewing depending on what your direction is. I only did that one kit and went to extract for almost a year then to AG. Your first extract beer will be significantly better than the Coopers kit.

Rev.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2964 Times on 2559 Posts
Likes Given: 2089

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post
Good luck with it. Keep in mind their lager kit produces a drinkable, but very disappointing beer, so don't get discouraged! And don't listen to the instructions. Leave it in the fermenter for 3 weeks, bottle it and wait 3 more. It will taste a lot better and will be almost crystal clear, well mine was after 3 weeks or so and was cloudy earlier.

After that either start doing some extract or AG brewing depending on what your direction is. I only did that one kit and went to extract for almost a year then to AG. Your first extract beer will be significantly better than the Coopers kit.

Rev.
Uuuh...Cooper's are extract too. What you mean are un-hopped (plain) extract kits. And the Cooper's lager isn't bad or "dissappointing" when properly brewed/conditioned. If one remembers that it's still an English derived ale,since AU was an English colony in the 19th century. And not just Botony Bay. So it's a malt forward light pale ale. Why they call it lager is anyone's guess. But it wasn't bad at 4-5 weeks in the bottles. Just dissapointing from a used to BMC's standpoint. Guess I can meet ya half way on that point.
But it has turned out be an interesting base for creating other,similar beers.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
Rev2010
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Uuuh...Cooper's are extract too.
With all due respect, no sh!t Sherlock, you know very well what I meant - a from scratch extract brew or extract kit from one of the many good online retailers like Northern or Midwest will make a significantly better beer. Not a no-boil, already hopped, extract kit. Come on now.

Quote:
And the Cooper's lager isn't bad or "dissappointing" when properly brewed/conditioned..
Quote:
But it wasn't bad at 4-5 weeks in the bottles. Just dissapointing from a used to BMC's standpoint
So you disagreed me with me then agreed with me?? I know you're a huge Cooper's proponent, and I like Cooper's too and still use their fermenters and some other gear. But let's not kid ourselves.

Rev.