Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Bo Pils with NZ hops - help!

Old 03-22-2012, 01:15 AM   #1
Louie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Default Bo Pils with NZ hops - help!

Hi all,

Thinking of brewing something along the lines of a pils, but with NZ hops...I just got 4oz each of Galaxy, Pacifica, and Motueka. I'm leaning towards something like bitter with the Galaxy, then blend all three for additions at 20/10/flameout (amounts/IBUs to style). Granted, these will be pretty small amounts for it to still be a pils....thoughts? I'm open to anything

Old 03-22-2012, 05:54 AM   #2
MrOH
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Personally, I'd save the Galaxy for an IPA. Motueka has Saaz parentage, and Pacifica has Hallertau. However, I've found that motueka is much more lemon/lime and then the earthy/spicy in the background, and that the Pacifica has a great orange aroma, but tastes very similar to Hallertau overall. Hope this helps.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #3
beachy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

These are all nice hops but none are really suitable for a classic Bo Pils. I would definately not use the Galaxy. It is similar to Citra and works great for flavour and aroma additions in an IPA. While not classic I would use the Motueka but that is because it is one of my favourite hops.

Also Galaxy is from Australia not NZ.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
TarheelBrew13
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

If you really want to highlight the hops, just get rid of the 60 mon addition and get all your IBU's from the flavor aroma additions.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
Calichusetts
Recipes 

Liked 423 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 983

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelBrew13 View Post
If you really want to highlight the hops, just get rid of the 60 mon addition and get all your IBU's from the flavor aroma additions.
Exactly...just do additions every 5 minutes from the 20 down to flameout

Old 03-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
jtejedor
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Out of all of those I would only use pacifica in that style of beer. I recently used pacifica in an oktoberfest because it was all I had on hand but it did the job well. Those other hops are extremely fruity and as others have said are better for an IPA hop wallop to the face. And yeah even though motueka is described in some places as being a saaz sub it is not really at all.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #7
Louie
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

So if we leave out the Galaxy, what would you suggest for a hop schedule? I do have some Hallertau on hand for bittering...

Old 03-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
TarheelBrew13
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I must have misunderstood. If you want to make the se Bohemian pilsners you drink at the local craft pub, save your special hops and just get some Saaz. If your expecting a traditional Bohemian Pilsner with NZ hops you're going to be a sad panda.

On the other hand, if you got into craft brewing because your a wild and crazy guy who wants to try avant garde beers that are as fresh and amazing as your Figment (the Disney character) inspired imagination can create, then by all means use the Motueka for 20-10-5 hop additions and forget the 60 min hops.

Also, the reason some say Morueka is a Sazz sub is because it has Sazz parentage and they are crazy. Parentage does not equal similarity.y wife is nothing like her parents thank you Jesus!

Old 03-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
Louie
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelBrew13 View Post
On the other hand, if you got into craft brewing because your a wild and crazy guy who wants to try avant garde beers that are as fresh and amazing as your Figment (the Disney character) inspired imagination can create
This, but I'm not really looking to go all "eHerms BIAB no-chill bacon peanut butter and fetus lambic served on cask in a polypin", but rather "mostly like a pils, but with with some non-traditional hops in the finish".

Thanks all for the advice - great stuff in here. I have put a plan together based on what I want the beer to be like and what you have all shared - will brew it and let you know how it turns out!

Old 03-25-2012, 08:10 AM   #10
sockmerchant
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie View Post
This, but I'm not really looking to go all "eHerms BIAB no-chill bacon peanut butter and fetus lambic served on cask in a polypin",
I just lol'd

Motueka rocks my socks. Did a SMaSH summer ale with Motueka and NZ mild pale that was kegged yesterday. Looking forward to sipping it. Samples tells me it will be nice and citrusy

Bottled:Belgian strong ale with brett, Belgian strong ale, Belg Amber, Belg blonde, Belg dark Strong, Belg not-wit, Belg tripel, berry blonde, belg stout, coffee dubbel, chili APA, APA, Belgian Dubbel, Rye (Brett) Saison