Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Keezer collar concerns

Old 03-21-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
mendozer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Keezer collar concerns

I want to build a collar to store my CO2 outside my keezer and in the near future I'll add faucets. For now, I'm using picnic faucets.

I like the idea of mounting the collar to the lid so the whole collar lifts up like these:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/holi...keezer-240073/ (he tosses the factory lid, but similar idea)

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-k...-build-219659/ his collar uses a lip instead of screwing down to freezer frame

BobbyM uses a lid-mounted design seen here

I'm wondering what's the best way to attach it to my freezer. There's a lip design, screw down with L brackets, silicone/gasket, etc.

My collar's rim has an inset. this could be good or bad for resting the collar on.
My lid has the gasket. Does that get stripped off then use L brackets on the collar to the lid?
I don't plan on making the collar too high. As you can see, i already have like 6 or 7 inches of clearance (it's a deep freezer) but i want a collar for my co2 line.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
Doed
Belching Dog Brewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I removed my lid. Used 1x6 pine boards to create a collar and 1/2" wafer board sheet for the top. I left the gasket on the freezer lid and bought some 3/4" x 1/2" foam weather stripping. The 3/4" width made it a perfect fit to the edge of the 1x6 collar. I just used the original freezer hinges and screwed the collar back on to those.

My Co2 is on the outside of my keezer, so it sounds like I did want you want to do.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
mendozer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

what is wafer board? I kind of wanted to keep the lid for the look of the handle. Also, I'm going to paint it with chalkboard paint and draw what's on tap in the future

Old 03-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
iijakii
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 325

I used 1x6 red oak for my collar. I removed the gasket on the lid and used Liquid Nails to attach the collar to the lid. Then I bought some weatherstripping to put on the bottom of the collar to get a good seal with the freezer body.

The Liquid Nails is definitely secure and sturdy - but I put handles on the collar also instead of using the lid handle so there's no stress on it. The handles also look really cool.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #5
mendozer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

yeah LN is tough stuff, especially the heavy duty one. Won't even come out of the tube without squeezing ridiculously hard

Old 03-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
KitB
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendozer View Post
I want to build a collar to store my CO2 outside my keezer and in the near future I'll add faucets. For now, I'm using picnic faucets.

I like the idea of mounting the collar to the lid so the whole collar lifts up like these:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/holi...keezer-240073/ (he tosses the factory lid, but similar idea)

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-k...-build-219659/ his collar uses a lip instead of screwing down to freezer frame

BobbyM uses a lid-mounted design seen here

I'm wondering what's the best way to attach it to my freezer. There's a lip design, screw down with L brackets, silicone/gasket, etc.

My collar's rim has an inset. this could be good or bad for resting the collar on.
My lid has the gasket. Does that get stripped off then use L brackets on the collar to the lid?
I don't plan on making the collar too high. As you can see, i already have like 6 or 7 inches of clearance (it's a deep freezer) but i want a collar for my co2 line.
You have almost the same freezer that I have.
That brown rubber lip is a bonus.
I found that it's a great surface for rope caulk to adhere to.
I made a cedar 2x8 collar & love my results.
I added a strip of stick-on neoprene foam to the top of the cedar & it works great.

My hinges have one screw into the collar & one into the original hole in the freezer.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
mendozer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

so your collar took up the whole rim and you filled the subset part with caulking?

Old 03-21-2012, 08:13 PM   #8
Doed
Belching Dog Brewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
what is wafer board?
Might also be called OSB, maybe? It is just a manufactured 4'x8' sheet of wood scraps together with glue.

Here is the wikipedia definition

Old 03-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #9
mendozer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

oh ok. yeah I call it OSB. ok.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #10
KitB
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
so your collar took up the whole rim and you filled the subset part with caulking?
I just used rope caulk & filled the 1-1/2" under the cedar.
It wasn't necessary to completely fill in the indent.