Furious with iBrewmaster - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Furious with iBrewmaster

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
Hauntedyards
 
Hauntedyards's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Posts: 104
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



The first bloody NB beer kit I have bought and it's not even in the iBrewmaster app!

I tried to enter it based on a 5 gallon boil and this is what it came up with...


Surly furious

Style: Imperial IPA OG: 1.064
Type: Partial Mash FG: 1.016
ABV: 6.29 %
Calories: 209
IBU's: 106.75
Efficiency: 70 %
Boil Size: 5.57 Gal
Color: 12.3 SRM
Batch Size: 5.00 Gal
Boil Time: 60 minutes

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 7
Secondary 14

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
0.75 lbs 7.75 % Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L 60 mins 1.035
0.50 lbs 5.17 % Aromatic Malt 60 mins 1.036
0.13 lbs 1.34 % Roasted Barley 60 mins 1.025
6.30 lbs 65.08 % NB Gold Malt Syrup 60 mins 1.036
2.00 lbs 20.66 % Briess Golden Light DME 60 mins 1.045

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
0.50 ozs 14.39 Amarillo Gold First Wort 8.50
2.00 ozs 0.00 Amarillo Gold 0 mins 8.50
2.00 ozs 92.36 Warrior 60 mins 15.00
5.00 ozs Simcoe 14 days 13.00
2.50 ozs Ahtanum 14 days 6.00
0.50 ozs Warrior 14 days 15.00
0.50 ozs Amarillo Gold 14 days 8.50

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.00 pkg British Ale II Wyeast Labs 1335


Carbonation
Amount Type Beer Temp CO2 Vols
20.1 psi Force Carbonation 72.0F 1.90


IBUs at 106 seem high is that due to 5 gallon boil? I love that hoppy beer!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #2
tektonjp
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
ohmihachiman, Japan
Posts: 819
Liked 91 Times on 68 Posts


I don't understand. Is IBrew supposed to have a database of kits?

No sure I understand the times under the grain sections. 60 minutes on the grains is steeping/mash? What is the 60 minutes for the extract then? Or is it boil time? Surely you're not boiling the grains?

the software looks confusing to me. Looking back at it again, is it saying you'll get a gravity of 1035 with just the crystal? I don't get it.

And I doubt you'll get a full 106 IBUs, but with the majority of your hops in for 60 min, it will certainly have that bitter edge to it. Me, I7d put more in at 10 minutes. Also, it's just a tad low on OG for the style. Imperials are 1070-90 according to BCJP.

Just saying.
__________________
"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:07 PM   #3
jfrizzell
 
jfrizzell's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2007
Iowa
Posts: 686
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts


Unrelated to your question and your probably already know this, but I thought I'd point out that you'll want more than 5 gallons going into your boil kettle or you won't end up with 5 gallons in your fermenter. You're going to lose some to those hops and boil off. I'm not sure how NB sizes their recipes, but surely they're setting them up for more than 5 gallon boils.
__________________
Primary: Pliney the Elder Clone
Kegged: Tank 7 / Saison Brett

http://untappd.com/abbayeduchatnoir

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:29 PM   #4
Hauntedyards
 
Hauntedyards's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Posts: 104
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by tektonjp View Post
I don't understand. Is IBrew supposed to have a database of kits?
Yes every Northern Brewer recipe in the app... except this one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tektonjp View Post
No sure I understand the times under the grain sections. 60 minutes on the grains is steeping/mash? What is the 60 minutes for the extract then? Or is it boil time? Surely you're not boiling the grains?
No that's how the software lists all the steeping grains for all the recipes... we are following the recipe from NB and steeping properly

Quote:
Originally Posted by tektonjp View Post
the software looks confusing to me. Looking back at it again, is it saying you'll get a gravity of 1035 with just the crystal? I don't get it.
At the top it says OG 1.064 (which was bang on with NBs instructions) and FG 1.016.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tektonjp View Post
And I doubt you'll get a full 106 IBUs, but with the majority of your hops in for 60 min, it will certainly have that bitter edge to it. Me, I7d put more in at 10 minutes. Also, it's just a tad low on OG for the style. Imperials are 1070-90 according to BCJP.
Yeah those times and amounts are all from Northern Brewer instructions. Just wondering if the IBUs read higher because of the larger boil.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:31 PM   #5
Hauntedyards
 
Hauntedyards's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Posts: 104
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrizzell View Post
Unrelated to your question and your probably already know this, but I thought I'd point out that you'll want more than 5 gallons going into your boil kettle or you won't end up with 5 gallons in your fermenter. You're going to lose some to those hops and boil off. I'm not sure how NB sizes their recipes, but surely they're setting them up for more than 5 gallon boils.
At the top it lists pre-boil volume of 5.57 gallons (as calculated by the app) I'm not sure if that will be enough though...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:32 PM   #6
Horace
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Milwaukee, Wi
Posts: 116
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Look again, I have it on my version of iBrewMaster...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:37 PM   #7
Hoosier-Brewer
 
Hoosier-Brewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
East of Indy, Indiana
Posts: 271
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


I have it too, version 2.771. You can always add it yourself if its not in there, it takes a few minutes, but it's not bad.

ETA: Or pm me your phone number and I'll export it out and send t to you as an attachment that you can import into iBrewmaster.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:40 PM   #8
Hauntedyards
 
Hauntedyards's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Posts: 104
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
Look again, I have it on my version of iBrewMaster...
For Iphone? the only one showing up on mine is all grain... not the partial mash version...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:27 AM   #9
Hoosier-Brewer
 
Hoosier-Brewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
East of Indy, Indiana
Posts: 271
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


You can change it to say Partial Mash by doing the following. Select the recipe in iBrewmaster then click the blue arrow next to the FG. Click on type All Grain and select Partial Mash then click Recipe Edit and Save. Now this really didn't do anything other than change the type of recipe to say Partial Mash, but the schedule seems to remain the same as the all grain. It does say in the note to see the full Northern Brewer recipe instructions. You could change edit the recipe yourself if you wanted to and adjust your grain and add the extract.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:29 AM   #10
two_hearted
 
two_hearted's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 2,248
Liked 192 Times on 155 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
Look again, I have it on my version of iBrewMaster...
I show in the database for the iPad...

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump