Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Looking for homemade barbecue sauce recipes

Old 05-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #21
Nateo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeering View Post
Next day add 6oz of pineapple juice to tin foil pouches with ribs, cook for 2.5-3 hours in oven at 200F
OVEN? How can you abuse your ribs so horribly?

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 05-21-2012, 10:02 PM   #22
Adeering
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Try it before you knock it, its a very low heat, more of a braise, ribs shouldnt be cooked on a grill entirely, too high of heat.

Dont have a smoker so oven braising is the way to go, and they make for fall off by the bone soft and tender

Kegged: None :(
Bottled: None
Next Brews: Pumpkin Ale, Unknown

Old 05-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #23
Nateo
Recipes 

Quote:
Try it before you knock it, its a very low heat, more of a braise, ribs shouldnt be cooked on a grill entirely, too high of heat.

Dont have a smoker so oven braising is the way to go, and they make for fall off by the bone soft and tender
Huh, I thought smokers were standard-issue in Arkansas. But I mean, if you're not smoking ribs, what's the point? Braising is the way to go with low-fat meats. Fatty meats are just begging to be smoked.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:17 PM   #24
Adeering
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Cause I dont smoke stuff and while it is delicious, this method does the same thing, just imparts different flavors. Low long heat to break up the connective tissue is what makes for tender delicious ribs. The finish on the grill gets a good char and flavor and the bbq is amazing.

This is actually a very common technique for many restaurants, they do wet smoking which is the same thing they just use a bigger oven. A smoker is just a low heat oven with wood flavoring.
Kegged: None :(
Bottled: None
Next Brews: Pumpkin Ale, Unknown

Old 05-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #25
Nateo
Recipes 

Quote:
This is actually a very common technique for many restaurants, they do wet smoking which is the same thing they just use a bigger oven. A smoker is just a low heat oven with wood flavoring.
Like most people with a liberal arts degree, I know my way around a commercial kitchen. You're right that restaurants don't dry smoke, which is why I've never had ribs in a restaurant that were as good as those I make at home.

microbusbrewery Likes This 
Old 05-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #26
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3656 Times on 2487 Posts
Likes Given: 2473

Wow. So this thread went from sharing sauce recipes to an argument over smoking.

That's awesome.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #27
Hugh_Jass
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Cause I dont smoke stuff and while it is delicious, this method does the same thing, just imparts different flavors. Low long heat to break up the connective tissue is what makes for tender delicious ribs. The finish on the grill gets a good char and flavor and the bbq is amazing.

I've done ribs by smoking and by the method you describe. I prefer the latter. Brew your beer, make your sauce, cook your ribs the way YOU want to eat them. Each to their own.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #28
Nateo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Wow. So this thread went from sharing sauce recipes to an argument over smoking.

That's awesome.
Yeah, we got off track a bit. I apologize. I'll be sure to run all of my comments by you for pre-approval in the future.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:01 AM   #29
Fauxsho
Recipes 

I use a basting sauce and a finishing sauce (For ribs)

Basting sauce
:

1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup prepared mustard
3/4 cup ketchup
2 tbsp black pepper (I like it coarse)
2 tbsp crushed red pepper
3-4 garlic cloves (just smashed, thinly sliced or minced)
2 3/4 cups red wine vinegar
1 3/4 cups water
3/4 cups dry white wine
2 tbsp sea salt

Reduce until you achieve your desired thickness.
(Usually about an hour on medium heat)

[Edit] I added a "splash" of Southern Comfort Fiery Pepper last time I made the basting sauce and it turned out pretty good. [/Edit]

I usually baste my ribs once every half an hour or so, (depends on how long I plan on cooking them) and cook them between 225-300 degrees for 2-3 hours.

Finishing Sauce:

1 tbsp salted butter (or extra virgin olive oil)
1 medium onion*
3-4 cloves of garlic*
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup liquid steak seasoning
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp cajun seasoning

* (I usually do a rough chop on my onion, prep my garlic cloves, and put them through the food processor together before I add them to the pan)

So, heat your butter or oil in a large skillet on med-high and then add your onion and garlic mixture. When it is fragrant/tender, go ahead and add the other ingredients and simmer for about 15 minutes and it's good to go.

[Edit] I grill my ribs on a propane grill. (I know, I know) I would much rather smoke them or grill over coals but I use what I have and what is convenient - I apologize in advance! [/Edit]

Adjust garlic to taste. I'm a firm believer in the more garlic the better! You can also substitute the crushed red pepper in the basting sauce and the cajun seasoning in the finishing sauce with caribbean jerk seasoning for a different flavor profile. Use shallots instead of onions, hoison sauce instead of worcestershire, you can even add liquid smoke in the finishing sauce, whatever... It's a fun recipe to play with.

Enjoy

Old 05-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #30
StittsvilleJames
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I made this sauce from AllRecipes:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/scott-h...bs/detail.aspx

The only thing is I will cut the liquid smoke to about 1/2 tsp when I do it again, it was a little much.

Great sauce though.